Chapter 31

Bilbo spent the rest of the day alternating between ignoring Tauriel and pondering over what Beorn had pointed out to him. What if, somehow, Sauron had returned to the past with him? Did the Dark Lord remember everything like Bilbo did? Was he also planning and scheming about what to change and what not to leave be? And most importantly-where was Sauron? In Dol Guldur as in his dream? Or waiting for them in Mordor; plotting and waiting like a thief in the night?

I could be walking into a trap, he acknowledged as he followed Tauriel with Beorn and Bard at his side. I could be taking us all to our deaths. I could be bringing the ring to Sauron and dooming all of Middle-Earth at this very moment-

"Are you brooding again?" Bard asked, interrupting his thoughts.

He turned and squinted up at the Man through the afternoon light. "I wasn't brooding; I was thinking deeply."

Beorn-in his bear form once more-snorted. Atop him, Bard also rolled his eyes. "You're brooding, trust me. I'm an expert at such things. I did a lot of it after my wife died."

"I think that's called grieving," he countered, hopping over a large stone in his path.

"It's all in the same family," the Man reasoned, making a shooing gesture with one hand. "But that's not why I brought it up. What are you thinking about that has you making such a face?"

Bilbo shrugged and glanced off to the side at the river that they continued to follow. "Nothing important. Just making plans for our mission."

"Uh-huh." Bard's face showed that he obviously didn't believe him but was willing to accept the lie for the moment. "Right. So what plans have you thought of?"

"Well, I'm trying to figure out how to sneak into Mordor without being detected," he replied as he quickly thought up an answer. "I doubt there will be much of an army waiting for us, but whatever forces they do have will still likely outnumber us."

"We will have to scout out the area before we decide on anything," Tauriel said suddenly from the front. Her steps never paused but she tilted her head back slightly to show that she was listening in. "It will probably take a few days and we will need to stay hidden at all times. We cannot risk detection when so close to the heart of Mordor."

Bilbo nodded; causing his braids to clash together in a mess of jingling bells. "I agree. Under no circumstances can we allow the ring to fall into Sauron's hands. If it comes down to it, we retreat and wait for another chance to end it for good."

"Beorn, look, they're talking again!" Bard whispered to the bear as he nudged one of his furry ears.

Beorn whined and tossed his head back in agreement.

The Hobbit gave them both a sour look. "I miss your sense of humor, Bard. Do you miss it too?"

"Just as much as I miss yours," the archer promised without batting an eye. "What do you think your Dwarves will do after they read your letters?"

"Scream. Curse. Brood. Scream some more," he listed, shrugging. "They're not a complicated bunch."

"You don't think they'll come after you?" asked Tauriel as she glanced over her shoulder at the Hobbit with one brow raised.

He shrugged again. "Maybe. I'm hoping Gandalf will talk some sense into them if they try. They just came out of a battle where some of them nearly died. They can't handle such a journey."

"Oh yeah and we're in such top shape ourselves," Bard said, sotto.

Bilbo ignored him. "I'm also hoping that their newly reclaimed home will convince them to stay."