II I might be gone for good

2.1 Fort

Yesterday Luc beat up a student. If anyone else had seen it, he'd be in trouble. God, he was so... fierce... so badass. I should've stopped him but I was just standing there, watching, mesmerized. Usually, Luc looks so awkward walking around campus in his cap and gloves. A weirdo, or a rude jerk no one wants to sit with at lunch. But there, behind the bleachers, he was like a superhero. Or maybe, supervillain. I can't get that scene out of my mind. From the moment I saw Luc for the first time, all my thoughts have been about him. I'm obsessed. I've never met anyone like this. Luc keeps surprising me. Even when he pushes me away, I feel like I'm falling deeper and deeper into his gravitational pull. And I'm past the point of no return.

Yesterday I started making video diaries - only for me to see. I told my camera everything I'd found out about Luc so far, in case one day I suddenly forget about him. I can't let that happen, ever. I know Luc feels threatened and will probably try to use his power on me. I have to be smarter, I have to be extra careful, I have to be one step ahead of him. And I need a plan to win his trust. This morning, I seriously considered wearing gloves and a helmet to the university.

"Did you talk to your Luc?" Nam asks, sitting down on a chair across the table.

We are in the Management Building common hall – it's an atrium with a lot of tables and working spaces for students. There's a glass ceiling and a huge designer chandelier hanging from it like an upside-down Christmas tree, which looks over excessive and completely out of place.

"No," I lie. "Can we just forget about it?"

Forget. The word itself makes me shiver.

"Don't tell me he's too weird for you! Or is he not weird enough?" Nam dramatically covers his mouth with his hands, eyes wide, shocked.

"Neither. He said no. He doesn't want to talk to me. I have to respect his wish," I lie again.

"You are not even dating but you're already so whipped."

"Nam," I say with a warning.

Nam rolls his eyes and cocks his head. "Fort," he says with an 'I-know-you' look. "We both know you are lying. Just be careful, okay? You aren't out to your family yet. Me and the guys are behind you 100 percent. No matter what. You don't have to worry about us. But university rumors are like wildfires. P'Pond can find out about it in seconds, or Geneve. They will pass it to your parents."

"Nam," I say calmly. "I'll be fine."

I should've talked to my parents, but there was never a good time, and they are always busy with something more important. I really don't think my sexuality is any of their concern. I understands Nam's worry though.

Nam got beaten up once for wearing eye-shadow.

He was beaten up by his own dad.

His dad said bruises look much better on a guy's face than makeup.

Nam's dad is a misogynistic dinosaur.

"By the way," Nam says, opening his textbook. "JK thinks I infected you with gay cooties. Now he refuses to sit next to me."

I laugh at this. My friends are ridiculous.

Someone claps me on the back. It startles me so much I practically jump on the table.

"Calm down, man." It's just JK. "Why so jittery? Too much coffee?" he slides into an empty chair beside me and frowns. "Don't tell me, this don't-touch-me thing is catching."

God, can they NOT talk about Luc?

"Yes," Nam says, hitting JK's head with his book. "Just like gay cooties. This is the gay agenda – to turn everyone into untouchable gays by the end of the year."