VI You know I'd still die for you

6 Luc 

Luc was twelve. He lived with his mom in a tiny apartment on the top floor of a four-story building. Sometimes he and Mark climbed up the fire escape stairs to the rooftop. It was their secret safe place, where they could hide from the world to play superheroes, dream about the career of international superstars or catch sunsets over Bangkok's ever-changing skyline. That day Mark brought his Batman costume and let Luc put on the mask and cape. Standing on the edge of the roof, feeling the cape flowing in the wind and watching the last rays of sunshine sliding through skyscrapers, Luc felt on top of the world. At that moment he believed everything was possible.

Then they heard screams. It was Luc's mom.

Luc dropped the Batman mask. Then quickly as he could, he climbed down to their balcony and looked inside. His mom was sitting on the floor, crying, and his dad leaning over her and saying something Luc couldn't hear. Anger filled his heart and blinded his fear. He run into the room and hit his dad in the stomach with his fist as hard as he could.

"Don't touch my mom!" he screamed. Dad just pushed him away and walked out of the flat, the door slamming shut behind him.

"It's okay, baby. Mommy is fine. Don't worry," his mom held his hand and petted his head.

"What did he do?" Luc asked.

"Nothing," she said, standing up. "As usual. He needed money. Nothing new," she gave him a sad little smile and then glanced to her left. Luc followed her look. A few kitchen cupboards were open and ransacked, utensils were thrown all over the kitchen, and a broken bowl and cracked cup were lying on the floor. The cupboard door beneath the sink was open wide.

Luc knew his mom kept a secret stash in a tin box there. She's been saving this money for years, since Luc's birth. She always dreamed about opening her restaurant or a café. She was a great cook, she just needed a little more money to start her own business. And then they could've afforded a better home in a better neighborhood and a better life.

Luc came to the sink and looked underneath. The box was gone. "Mom?"

"It's okay, baby. It's not the end of the world. We'll be fine."

"But, Mom." This was definitely not okay – this was the opposite of okay. And what was he supposed to do? Just forget about it? And let his dad get away with it? Luc was wearing a cape and believed in justice, he couldn't just let go.

Mark was standing at the balcony door, looking a bit shocked and out of place. "Come on," Luc nods toward the front door.

As soon as they got outside, he said, "Imma find my dad and return our money. You can come with me or go home and be safe."

Mark looked down at his new white Nikes. Luc patted his shoulder and said, "It's okay. I understand." And after that, in his worn-out flip-flops with the black cape flying behind his back, he ran down the canal to the night market, where his dad was usually spending time and money gambling and getting drunk. It was Saturday evening, and the market was packed. Too many vendors, too many people, and a lulling mix of noises and smells. A woman in a yellow dress was cutting durian, a man with a beard was shouting at his dog, two boys on the corner were playing guitars, a small beer bar was playing reggae, and the shop next door was full of loud football fans. Luc got lost. He ran up and down the narrow alleys until he tumbled upon an abandoned railway bridge on the further end of the market. It was dark and quiet there. Luc's dad was standing there, talking to himself, the tin box in his hand.

Luc ran to him and grabbed the box. But his dad didn't let go of it. He raised it higher out of Luc's reach. "You again," he sneered with disgust.

"Give it back!" Luc shouted, trying to jump high enough to get the box.