VIII But where is the punch line?

8.1 Luc

"You don't do parties." Mark's brow furrows. He's not wrong but how can I miss my boyfriend's birthday? Really. I didn't tell my friends about the boyfriend thing yet. I'm not in the mood for Mark's criticism or Ton's teasing.

Mostly, I don't want to upset Mark.

We are in Po's store. Mark and I sit on the floor, backs resting against the counter table, and Ton sits on the windowsill right next to a spare driver seat. He's wearing a red puffer vest over a denim shirt and I have no idea how he's not sweating like crazy.

"You still don't get it," Ton says, shaking his head. "Usual rules don't apply when it comes to Fort. He's like a black hole bending the fabric of the Universe, slowing time, and making Luc do impossible things. Moreover," he raises his index finger, "It's not just a party, it's Fort's birthday party!"

"So," I purse my lips and glance at Mark, "Will you come?"

"I don't have a costume," Mark says tightly.

Nam texted me that it is going to be a fancy dress party and the theme is Movie Night. Ton volunteered to take care of it. He got so excited about the whole thing the moment he heard about it. I'm not going to tell him he wasn't invited. And there's no way I'm going to a party without both of them by my side. I love Mark. Mark is my best friend ever but I can't fight his open hostility toward Fort on my own, I need Ton to balance it out.

"You do!" Ton says overenthusiastically and tosses him a red Santa hat.

"What movie is this?" Mark says, looking at it skeptically.

"Grinch, obviously," Ton grins like a madman.

"Come on," I say lightly, kicking Mark's snicker. "We'll just say hi to Nam and then you can throw it away."

"Whatever," Mark takes the hat and I can't stop myself from smiling widely.

"Here," Ton hands me a bag. "It's a bit used, but I believe the size is right." He arches his eyebrow, his smile looks suggestive and dirty. I'm not sure whether letting Ton pick their costumes was a good idea.

*

Marty McFly, Grinch, and Spider-Man walk into a bar. I desperately hope this is not a beginning of a bad joke.

"I feel naked," I whisper to Mark, fighting the urge to cover my private parts with my hands.

"Calm down, you are not."

"You look hot," Ton offers.

The bar is filled with M3GANs, Wednesdays, Stranger Things, and Star Wars. I try to find familiar faces in the crowd but only recognize Ann and May. Ann is a Wonder Woman and I have no idea who is May – she's wearing a red beret and some normal clothes.