VII Red Flags. Green Flags. White Flags

7.1 Fort

"Pumpkin spice latte for the smartest and most beautiful lady in town," I set a tall glass on the table in front of my aunt and sit down opposite her. It's raining outside. The thick blanket of rain evens down all the colors, painting everything in different shades of pale blue and gray. The café, we are in, is getting more crowded, as people are trying to hide from the rain.

"Thank you," she smiles, not looking at me. "I bet you know, what I wanted to talk to you about. Or who, to be exact." I nod. I'm a toxic mix of excitement and dread. I want to hear updates on Luc and the miraculous cure that will make everything easier, but I'm not sure I'm ready for any bad news. I can't read Na Fai's face – it can be anything. She looks tense and distracted, but not disappointed or sad. "I already asked you this question but I got to repeat myself. How far are you willing to go for Luc?"

My heart hasn't changed during this month of having Luc in my life. If anything, now my heart screams even louder 'To the end!'

"Far enough," I say with a shrug.

Aunt Fai nods and checks her phone. "Because the tests, research, and experimenting with unauthorized drugs, all of this is not only unethical but also quite expensive."

"I'll pay for everything," I say quickly. "This is not a problem."

"I know but...," she bites her lip, looking down at her phone as if she's reading something there. "You are already too invested in this. And he doesn't even know about it, right? You keep it from your parents, too. You are spending their money."

I'm good at saving. I don't spend much on partying, shopping, or girls. So what if I spend a quarter of a million on a guy I like and try to help? My parents won't find out, they wouldn't even care. Plus, Aunty Fai is not that close to my mother, they don't talk on a daily basis, so it's not a problem either. Of course, I will tell them eventually; I only need Luc on board for this – they have to meet him and listen to his story to believe in his existence. And none of them is ready for this yet.

"And what if it won't work out?" she asks, finally looking at me. "What if there's no cure?"

Cold white panic runs down my spine. "What do you mean?"

"Can you keep a secret from him?"

I don't want to keep anything from Luc. "What? Why?"

She takes a breath, deep and slow. "I shouldn't tell you this. I've never told you any of it, okay?" I zip up my mouth but I don't promise her anything. Aunt Fai checks her phone again and then puts it away in her bag. "This is still only a theory, but from what I can see, Luc's problem is more psychological than neurological. I mean, yes, his brain is unique and amazing, and looking at it is like looking into the eye of the universe. But I suspect – this is only my guessing, and I'm not an expert and absolutely unqualified for this job – but I think he can control his powers, he just doesn't want to."

I choke on air and cough out "What?"

"Well," Na Fai takes a swig of her coffee and looks at me. "He believes he cannot control it and he unconsciously uses it as a shield of sorts."

"What for?"

"I think, he uses it as a reason to push people away, to avoid closeness, so no one could hurt him. Like a security blanket, I guess."

"Wait. You mean he can touch people without erasing their memories?"

"Yes and no. At the moment, even when he's unconscious, his power is protecting him from people who can potentially harm him, which is basically everyone. When he will feel safe enough and will be able to fight all his insecurities and consciously admits that he can control his power, then maybe – only maybe – he would cure himself. He needs to believe in himself, actually believe he doesn't want to be forgotten." I'm too stunned to say anything. Na Fai sips on her latte and continues, "But I repeat, this is only a theory. And under no circumstances don't tell him any of this, don't push him or accuse him of anything, you'll only scare him away."