X Please stay with me after dark

10.1 Mark

They storm into the shop just before the closing time. I can tell this isn't a friendly visit. Fort looks a bit edgy, like he's getting late for his flight in business class to New York or something and somehow, this is Mark's fault. Nam is kind of irritated.

"Where's Luc?" Fort asks in lieu of hello.

"Shouldn't you know better, being his boyfriend and all?" I say coldly. "I'm closing the shop. You can come back tomorrow."

"He broke up with me and touched Nam," Fort informs me, walking deeper into the shop.

"What?" It can't be true. Why would Luc... "What did you do to him?"

"Nothing!" Fort yelps. I glance at Nam, who still lingers by the door, staring down at his phone. Fort shifts on his feet and folds his arms.

"Tell me," I demand.

Fort puffs and glances back at Nam, then he leans on the counter, closer to me, and says quietly, "We met him at the market." He stresses the last word as if it implies more than... Oh. Oh! Right. The market.

I breathe out, "Shit."

"You do know about it, right?" Fort asks. "This is what you meant when you told me about streets and danger?"

I don't know how to react. Should I pretend I have no idea what Fort is talking about, or what?

Fort shakes his head, exasperated. "I won't turn him in. I would never harm him. You know that. I just want to talk to him. And I don't know what to do with him," he jerks his head back at Nam. "He doesn't believe me. He thinks I'm joking. God." He runs his fingers through his hair. He looks a mess, "I don't know what to do. I can't lose Luc. He didn't even let me say anything," Fort lets his head fall onto his hands. He looks broken. Something tightens up in my chest. I feel bad for him. Damn.

"His defenses kicked in, I guess," I offer with a sigh and Fort immediately looks up. There's a hopeful gleam in his eyes. "It's a good thing you still remember him." I'm so soft-hearted I despise myself. "If he wanted to break up with you for real, you wouldn't be here. Sometimes he just chooses to be difficult."

10.2 Luc

I don't remember how I've got home. Everything is a blur. Everything feels wrong. Even my own skin feels wrong like it's a size smaller.

I collapse on my bed, hoping the sleep would have mercy on me and take me to a blissful mindless darkness. It doesn't. Today is like a nightmare I can't wake up from. Because my phone's vibrating in my pocket.

I want to ignore it and leave it to voice mail.

But it's Mark.

And Mark doesn't beat around the bush, "What the fuck is wrong with you?" he yells as soon as I pick up. "I know you are seriously messed up in the head, but I never thought you could be this stupid! Did you really break up with Fort and brainwashed Nam? What the hell? What has Nam ever done to you?"

"Sorry," I say because I feel like I somehow hurt Mark as well. "I thought you'd be happy," I add quietly.

There's silence on the line. I don't know what to think of it, my mind is blank. I don't know anything anymore.

"No, you idiot," Mark says, but his voice is softer now. "I'm not happy at all."

"You never liked Fort."

Mark sighs and I can picture him rubbing his face and shaking his head. "I didn't like him because I was worried he'd hurt you. And because I was scared he'd steal you from me. But mostly because I was jealous." His voice wavers and I swallow the bitterness in my throat.

Unforgettable!On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara