Chapter 11

Lizzie Saltzman is, by all accounts, a bitchy girl. She doesn't mind being rude to someone, and she doesn't even care about the status or age of this person. Sometimes she can be rude even to the people closest to her. True, they get offended from time to time, but their offense never lasts too long.

Lizzie grew up in a family of a vampire mom and a vampire hunter dad. It can be said that she learned from the cradle all the inconsistency of the world around her. Her dad is extremely skeptical of the Mikaelsons, but he dotes on Hope. And her mother is in a strange relationship with Klaus, although she herself suffered a lot from him in her youth.

Yes, Lizzie knows about their relationship. Never ask her exactly how she found out, because the first thing she will do is first pucker up her face, and then she will throw up her breakfast.

"Lizzie, you must not tell your sister or anyone else about what you saw." Her mother asked her that evening.

Of course, at that moment Lizzie did not miss the opportunity to bargain. So she asked for mobile phones for herself and Josie. Their mom just didn't have a chance.

"You caused me a childhood injury, Mom! It's the least I can ask of you."

"God, Lizzie, don't be dramatic. It was just a kiss."

"With Klaus Mikaelson, Mom!"

"Okay! I'll give you the phones! Just calm down."

The very next day, the twins received their cherished iPhones. Lizzie, as promised, kept her mother's secret, although it was unbearably difficult to hide it, especially from her sister. Thank all the gods that Josie is a calm twin who never bothers Lizzie with questions. Josie's ability to keep her distance helps the blonde once again not to open her mouth.

Lizzie definitely considers herself a good sister. At least, most of the time. She takes care of Josie, and Josie takes care of her. They have a perfect tandem (except for those rare moments when they still quarrel). Aside from their last fight over Josie's antics during a football game, they've only had a serious fight once. After that, Josie didn't talk to her for three whole days.

It happened in October two years ago.

Autumn, according to Lizzie, is not the most pleasant time of the year. And this autumn is especially unpleasant. It just so happens that her sister Josie is in love with Hope Mikaelson. However, at the moment only Lizzie herself knows about it. Josie categorically doesn't know how to lie to her, and therefore Lizzie immediately found out about her sister's new crush. In fact, Josie is terrible at hiding anything. She can lie to her parents as much as she wants, but never to her sister. Lizzie sees right through her.

Today, on a sunny October day, their mother and Aunt Elena picked them up right after school. Caroline said that in honor of her arrival they would go to a country house on the shore of the lake. Aunt Bonnie promised to come the next day and show them a couple of new spells. Well, while she is on the road somewhere on the border with Canada, Caroline and Elena communicate with her via video link, discussing the latest gossip.

"So, I say to him: Are you an idiot?" Giggling, Elena tells something.

"And he?" Bonnie asks, sipping her coffee somewhere in the airport lounge. Lizzie sees a big window with a lot of planes behind her.

"Well, what about him? He was just offended." All three of them laugh in unison.

Lizzie and Josie are sitting in the back seat of the car. Lizzie looks around with a bored look, not finding anything to occupy herself with during the trip. The road to the house by the lake takes about thirty minutes. Now Lizzie regrets that she left her phone at boarding school. She is unbearably bored, and Josie, buried in her diary, doesn't pay any attention to her.