chapter 3

(Hyun Shik's POV)

I stood frozen in front of her. I could feel my face being red and my heartbeat is beating so fast.

Wait, why did I rush here?

Oh right, I was afraid that she didn't bring her umbrella on this rainy noon. I thought.

"Is there anywhere you would like to go? Or let's grab lunch since it's lunchtime already." I asked.

"Let's just go somewhere to grab lunch first, I'm getting sorta hungry." She grinned.

We walked to a restaurant that's a few steps away from our workplace (our workplace is near so you know why I could pick her up on time just now). The restaurant looks fancy and there were quite a lot of customers inside because of the rain. We managed to find a place to sit in the restaurant and the waiter handed us the menus.

"Do you have any food allergies? I will be treating you to lunch today." I asked while studying the menu.

"I'm fine with everything- Wait, are you saying that you will be paying for the meal?!" In Ra widened her eyes.

I nodded, "Yeah, is there a problem?"

"Definitely! I've troubled you to pick me up to go for lunch and a bit of your shoulder is wet. I'll pay for the food, it's ok!" In Ra stood up looking worried.

I chuckled, "I'll pay, it's not a hassle anyways. If you still feel bad for me, then perhaps...text me every day? It could be anything like hi, hello, have you eaten, and so on."

In Ra slightly blushed, "Sure, I guess."

We both finished ordering the food and we've chat about work while waiting for the food to come.

"So how have you been doing lately?" I asked.

"Things were pretty hard, but gotta stand strong." In Ra forced a smile on her face, "You?"

"Same goes for me, but it's getting better lately." I slightly smiled.

"Good to hear things are getting better for you." Just then, In Ra received a call from someone. She apologized and answered the call.

Despite her whispers throughout the phone call, I could still hear her conversation with the person calling her.

"Yes, Dad...Hm? I'm with a friend right now...No! He's really just a friend, nothing else. Oh, alright. Mhm. Take care, bye." In Ra then hung up the call.

"Just a friend, huh." I pretend to sulk in front of her. I wanna see how would she react if I tease her.

"W-w-who said that?! Of course not, you're my...uh..."

For the first time, In Ra was blushing really hard. She then covered her face with the menu.

Cute. I thought.

"Just kidding, haha." I chuckled.

In Ra frowned and hit my shoulder, "That's not funny!" Then she found herself giggling.

We both settled down after the waiter brought along our food.

"This is delicious!" In Ra's eyes sparkled after trying one bite of kimchi fried rice.

"Haven't you tried kimchi fried rice before?" I was puzzled.

"Ah, our household normally eats Western food for breakfast, lunch, and dinner so we rarely get to eat Korean food." In Ra smiled.

"I see." I smiled back and took a bite of the bibimbap I ordered.

My eyes widened at how delicious the bibimbap is, so In Ra wasn't kidding when she said the food is delicious.

"I see someone's also enjoying the food here." In Ra giggled.

"It's been a while since I've had something really delicious." I wasn't kidding when I said this.

"Really?" In Ra tilted her head in confusion.

"Mhm. Ever since my downfall in my career. Nothing tastes good to me." I sighed.

Suddenly, In Ra patted my back.

"It will be ok, I promise. Why did you assume that your career is gonna fall apart when you haven't totally given up?"

I looked into her eyes and my heart was throbbing. No one has ever comforted me this way before even my brother.

"In Ra-"

BZZZ! Her phone buzzed again before I get to thank her.

"I'm sorry, my brother is calling." In Ra apologized and went outside to pick up her phone call.

Even after she went outside for a few minutes. My heart was still throbbing from her warm comforting words.

I really love her. I thought. She's so nice, and caring. Most of all she's cute.

"Sorry, Hyun Shik. My brother's telling me to go back. There's an emergency. Let's talk later!" In Ra grabbed her purse and waved goodbye.

"Wait!" I grabbed her wrist.

"Hm? Is there something I left?" 

"Here, it's still raining outside so take this. You don't need to return it to me." I gave her my umbrella.

"Thanks so much, Hyun Shikie! I'll return the umbrella to you the next time we meet!" In Ra then rushed out of the restaurant.

She called me Hyun Shikie...

I covered my blushing face. I wish she would call me Hyun Shikie often. It sounds cute, just like her.

I wonder what kind of emergency made her worried and rush. I thought.