Chapter 8: The Wedding

I try not to shake, but it does no good. Any girl would do the same. The day is big, the dress is heavy, and the eyes watching are uncountable. Brave as I ought to be, I tremble. I know that once the doors open, I will see Cas waiting for me, so while all the last-second details are settled around me, I hold on to that promise and try to relax.

I'm so lost in my thoughts that Iria sneaks up on me.

"You look beautiful, Em," she says, reaching up to touch the intricate high collar of my dress.

"The maids outdid themselves, didn't they?" I answer, touching parts of the dress myself.

"My gosh, Em, you're shaking." Iria grabs my hands and tries to still them, laughing at my nerves.

"I know. I can't help it."

"Aren," Iris calls. "Come help me calm Em down."

He walks over, eyes as bright as ever; and with the two of them surrounding me, I do start to feel less tense.

"Don't worry, Em; I'm sure he'll show up," he teases. Iria laughs, and I swat at them both.

"I'm not worried he'll change his mind! I'm afraid I'll trip or mispronounce his name or something. I mess everything up," I lament.

Iria puts her forehead on mine. "Nothing could mess up today."

"It's starting! I'm next!" Iria exclaims. The music plays.

"I love this color on you, by the way."

She juts out her hip, posing in the gown. "You have great.

taste, Your Majesty."

L listen, waiting. I know the notes are coming soon, so I

take one last chance to straighten my dress. It's truly magnificent. The white gown fits through my hips, flitting out in waves to the floor. The lace sleeves are short and lead to a high collar that genuinely makes me took like a princess. Over the dress, a sleeveless cape like coat flows out behind me, making a train. I'll take it off for the reception, where I intend to dance with my husband until can't stand it anymore.

"Ready, Em?"

I turn to Aren. "Yes. I'm ready."

He holds an arm out for me, and I put mine through his,

"You look incredible."

"You clean up pretty nice yourself," I comment. And though I smile, I know he sees my nervousness.

"There's nothing to worry about," he assures me, that confident smile making me believe that whatever he says is true, same as always. I take a deep breath and nod.

"Right. Just don't let me fall, okay?"

"It's time." Iria instructs. I give her a nod, and Aren and I make our way to the doors.

"Knock 'em dead." he says just before the music rises and we're revealed to the guests. all the fear rushes back. Though we tried to keep the guest list small hundreds of people line the aisle that will take me to Cas. And as they all rise to greet me, I carl see him. I just need to see his face. If I can find those steady eyes, I'll know I can do this. I smile, trying to stay calm, graciously nodding at our guests, thanking them for their presence here today. But Aren knows.

"It's okay, Em."

I look to him, and the encouragement in his expression helps. I keep moving. It's not the most graceful parade down the aisle. who else could I have asked? Who else would I have asked? Aren had shifted to fill a desperate place in my life. Not my boyfriend, not my friend, but my family. I had expected him to say no, afraid it was somehow an insult. But he'd said he was honored and embraced me when.

I asked. Devoted and true, even to the very end. That's my Aren.

Finally, I see a familiar face in the crowd. Iria is there, she beams with pride for me, though really, she can hardly tear her eyes off Aren. He stands a little taller as we pass her. I know that soon it will be her turn, and I'm looking forward to It. Aren couldn't have made a better choice. Around them are so many smiles. It's almost overwhelming how loved I feel. I'm so distracted by their faces that I forget how close I am to the end of the aisle. As I turn forward. He's there. And then it seems as if no one else is here at all. No cameras filming, no bulbs flashing. It's just us. It's just Cas and me. I smile, remembering the long journey that got us here, standing at the altar. Aren's last few steps are slow but steady. When we reached our destination, I turned to him. Aren gives me one last smile, and reaches over to kiss his cheek, saying goodbye to so many things We shave a look for a moment, and he takes my hand and puts it in Cas', giving me away. They nod to each other, nothing but respect on their faces. I don't think I could ever understand all that's passed between them, but it feels peaceful in that moment. Aren seps back, and I step forward, arriving at the one place I never thought I'd be. Cas and I move close to each other as the ceremony start. He holds my hands as if they're the only things pinning him on the earth, and I focus on that as I prepare myself for the words coming, the promises I'll never break. It's magical, really, the power this day has. But even now I know this isn't a fairy tale. I know that we'll have hard times, confusing times. I know that things won't always happen the way we want them to and that we'll have to work to remember that we chose this. It won't be perfect, not all the time. This isn't happy ever after. It's so much more than that. The officiant starts.

"Friends, Lera, Olso, and Vallos, King Casimir and Emmaline have invited us here today, in the presence of God, to share in the celebration of their marriage. We who gather here today are separated by the many different experiences that we have had. Despite these differences, we gather here today in this place because we share something in common. We share a desire to affirm and support the relationship of Cas and Emmaline. Marriage is an act of will. It requires a commitment to care for another person. By caring we show concern for the life and growth of those whom we love. Marriage requires a commitment to take responsibility for another person. By responding we experience the needs of that other person and try to help meet those needs. Today, guided by God's love and wisdom, we affirm and celebrate Casimir's and Emmaline's wedding day. Before God, your friends, and your families, I ask you to affirm your willingness to enter the covenant of marriage and to share all the joys and sorrows of your lives and your relationship, whatever the future may hold. Casimir, do you take this woman to be your wife? Do you promise to love her, comfort her, honor her and keep her, in sickness and in health as long as you both shall live?

"I do," Cas says with a smile while looking into Em's eyes.

"Emmaline, do you take this man to be your husband? Do you promise to love him, comfort him, honor and keep him, in sickness and in health as long as you both shall live?

"I do." Em says with tears in her eyes.

"Repeat after me. I take you, Emmaline, Casimir, this day as my wife, husband. I promise to walk by your side forever as your best friend and your soul mate. You are my beloved one and I am proud to marry you. I promise to support your dreams and to be there for you all our lives."

They did and Em was about to lose it. She had puddles of tears going down her face with the brightest smile ever seen. She was excited, nervous, happy, in love and just emotional.

"From the earliest times, the circle has been a symbol of completeness, a symbol of committed love. An unbroken and never-ending circle symbolizes a commitment of love that is also never-ending. This ring should be a reminder of the commitment to love each other that you have made today.

"Repeat after me. I, Casimir, Emmaline, give you Emmaline, Casimir, this ring as a symbol of my commitment to love, honor, and respect you."

"Casimir and Emmaline, you have now affirmed your love for each other before your family and friends. You have come from different backgrounds, have walked different paths. You are different individuals. Your love has transcended these differences. In the years before you may the richness of the traditions that have nurtured you enhance and brighten your lives as you help to create and shape the future. May God bless you and keep you, Casimir, and Emmaline, by the power vested in me, I now pronounce you husband and wife. Casimir, you may kiss the bride."

He grabbed her face gently and passionately kissed her on the lips. He pulled away and kissed her again.

"Ok! It is my pleasure to present to you, Casimir and Emmaline as husband and wife!"

Everyone clapped and cheered. Em and Cas kissed again.