Twenty Eight

«Loving you is like a drug that I never want to stop taking.»

«Just a smile from her could make his flutters, and just a cry could make him crumble.»

Chapter 28

"The anklet looks beautiful, and it glows," Nathaniel commented, staring at the crystal around her ankle. It was very rare to see a female with anklets.

"Oh?" Angelina paused, smiling softly, turning her attention to him, "I love it," she grinned cheekily, "but we called it 'leg chain' in my country," she laughed. "It's very common among females in Nigerian, but some people still think it's a sign of females being promiscuous, enticing, or inviting men, whereas it's an endearment for females," she sighed, pinching the bridge of her nose. At the same time, Nathaniel found it cute and couldn't resist pecking her nose as she closed her eyes, shying away.

Some people were just dimwitted or culturally extreme. There was nothing bad in using an anklet, she used it because she liked it, and it gave her a sense of beauty.

"It's beautiful," he complimented; he loved how it glowed under the moonlight, and it looked good.

"Leg chain?" he teased her, raising a brow.

"Ah," She tsked, fake-glaring at her before shaking her head, "let me tell you some secret about Nigerians," she whispered playfully, grinned widely, "We Nigerians are very funny, ehn," she fiddled with her fingers excitedly to talk about her country, smiling. At the same time, Nathaniel took her hands in his, rubbing them together to generate heat.

"If all countries are going to the right, Nigerians would always go to the left. We are specially created breeds from our thinking to ideology and everything. We are always different, and that difference defines Nigeria as a country," she smiled brightly.

"We go with the flow. We call it leg chain because you can't go to any jewellery stores and tell the store owner you want to buy anklets," she paused, "You'll be left standing."

"What?" he exclaimed, "Why?" he asked, curiosity laced under his question.

"Yeah, I know," she sighed exasperatedly, rolling her eyes, "but it is rare except if you go to the high-class stores,'' she added. "You know—" a pregnant pause, "'short' as in clothing or knicker?" she asked him to have him nod, "We call it 'short-knicker' in my country," Nathaniel's body shook with laughter, his laughter echoed through the night.

Very hilarious!

"What?" he asked in between his laughter.

"Stop laughing, joor," she nudged his side only to have him laughing more, and she could help herself from laughing alongside him.

She continued, "We call any kind of noodle like there are different companies making noodles with different names; we call all noodles - 'Indomie'."

"Indomie?!"

"Yeah, indomie is the name of one company that produces a type of noodles," she filled him in.

"So…?"

"Then the seller would ask which indomie you want, then you'll make a choice," She smiled, "Instead of saying I want noodles, then choice."

"Oh my God!" he exclaimed loudly.

"And any type of toothpaste is called 'closeup'," she mumbled.

"I can't wait to pay a visit," Nathaniel said, only to burst into a fit of laughter.

"Sincerely, these made things easy for people in Nigerians," she defended, "You know we have more than seven hundred ethnic groups and different languages —So Nigerians people came together to find suitable words, and it has been accepted," she shrugged her shoulders.