°25° words

Pt.3||ch.05
[Ch.25]

~~~~

Silence, fuyoya had left in a flurry of embarrassment and lesson had long since ended. But no conversations followed the bell and the lingering eyes of daichi on your back only emblazoned your shame.

You had backed out of an opportunity with such venom you wouldn't be surprised if they all knew how you felt or if it instead had hurt sugawara.

~~~~

Now you sat cross legged on your futon dialling Satori Tendou staring vacantly at your bookshelf, imagining yourself plunging your head into a brick wall with inhuman strength. You were an idiot. He hadn't spoken a word to you since your outburst besides a greeting in the hallway and a farewell as he left to the volleyball gym. 

The unrelaxed nature of your life since coming to karasuno swarmed you, you had resolved your brothers relationship, reconciled an old friendship but still couldn't admit to having the love bug. It sat in the pit of your stomach like a boulder, you had hurt him: maybe he now thought you couldn't see him like that or that you were repulsed by him. Nothing about your impulsive outburst was going to help you convey the sickening butterflies you felt when he said your name or the cold water you were doused in everytime he said you were his friend.

It was all so confusing, he was the one saying 'friend' so why was he so perturbed when you upheld the idea. It was as this question was posed that a singsong voice burst from the phone.

"[Name]? Whats wrong you sound like your crying" Tendou mused quietly shushing the noise behind him. He was right you had begun to cry for something so juvenile as a petty misunderstanding at high-school, over a crush you'd had for a few months at best. Your shoulders trembled and wet spots smudged the colours of your futon hazing your vision. "I guess I am" you had mumbled "Tendou how would I confess..."

Tendou withheld teasing, opting to comfort you with sage advice. As he drawled on about confronting  it when it felt right you tears slowed and eventually halted entirely as he mumbled about location being key.

"So don't, like, proposition it in the middle of a sweaty gy-" he mused frantically.
"Thank you, TenTen."
"Ehhh? it's no trouble, are you alright now?" A smile creased your jaw, and you hummed an approval.

Before the call had ended he had invited you to group karaoke, to which you declined aware it was more in jest than earnest. Once the line went dead you flopped onto your pillow and drifted to sleep.

~~~~

Lessons dragged on in rehearsed monotony, not a word slid in-between the silence of study, only glances. Cedar eyes smiled when they met yours - but not pursed lips. Daichi made strained inspections of the quiet not quite brave enough to comment.

Fuyoya wasn't a variable in the day, gone on a trip to a nearby University so paying him a visit and a raving word weren't optional. Instead your eyes lingered on the clicking clock biding time till the days end.

When it came you burst from your desk scraping whatever you could clumsily into your bag and turning toward Sugawara. Ashen hair shaded cedar eyes as he scraped the final words into his book. Eventually eyes met yours questioningly. Your mouth began to move but words faltered in an abysmal attempt at admittance. His brow furrowed and once more he smiled limply "Are you okay [Nickname]?" Soft voice lulled you.