Chapter 1: Tote Bag

Sage's POV

My class for the day has just ended here at the University of New South Wales in Australia where I am completing my degree in Bachelor of Science in Information Technology.

"Hey, mate! Are you coming with us for a basketball game?" my friend asked.

"Nope, mate. I gotta get home fast. It's my Nana's birthday and I'll celebrate it with her. I might need to leave now as I don't want get stuck in the traffic." I answered and smile.

"Ah! I remember when we went to your house and your grandma cooked for us, it was the best dish I ever tasted. What's that again? Chicken Adobe?" my friend said.

"It's adobo you c*nt! Haha!" I jokingly said.

"Ah! Yeah! Adobo! All right then I'll go ahead, mate. Say Happy Birthday to your grandma for me! Drive safely, Sage." he said and left afterwards.

Then, before I went home, I've decided to buy a cake for her. Her favorite ube custard cake that she's craving for.

Good thing that there are Filipino shops around here in Australia where I can buy these things.

I've been living with my grandma for a very long time already. By the way, she's my grandma on my dad's side.

Maybe I've been living here in Australia for almost 10 or 11 years?

I left the Philippines when I was about 7... no, 8 years old. I was turning 8 years old that day because it was my birthday and I didn't want to leave.

But my parents insisted it so I spent half of my birthday at the plane. Haha!

My parents were not in good terms that time, so I had no choice but for my dad to send me here in Australia to be taken care of by my grandma. I didn't know what was happening that time since I was just a kid minding my own business.

All I know is that they are having lots of quarrel, nagging, and shouting everyday.

So, when I came here in Australia, it was just me and my grandma living together.

At first, I thought I wouldn't like it here. However, she poured me with all her love and made me feel at home.

She's spoiling me like what granmdas do to their grandchildren, but she made sure that I will stay humble and pure.

So, that's the reason why I'm here in Australia. I'm happy living here together with my grandma. I know she's growing older day by day, but I just wanted to be with her for as long as I can.

I will be very sad if one day...

No! No! I shouldn't say that.

I should be happy since it his her birthday!

...

...

...

"Hello, how are you? What can I do for you?" the pretty lady asked me as soon as I got into the Filipino shop where I'll buy that ube custard cake for my grandma.

"I'll have one whole of ube custard cake, please?" I answered as I stood in front of the counter, "Also, can you put a candle on top? It's my grandma's 70th birthday today." I added.

"Oh? Birthday pala ni Nana Gertrude? Sabihin mo 'Happy Birthday'!" the lady said since she knows me and my grandma as we are usual customers here.

Also, I can understand tagalog since my grandma made sure that I won't forget my mother tongue. I can understand and speak but I'm not really good at it. I know some basic tagalog but, still, I'm trying to learn.