2. Omen (1)

S02 Regional Integrated Base of Operations

October 5, 2066. Moscow Standard Time PM 4:00

A doll stood in front of a large helipod.

Her name is Leona, with purple hair and a red G&K uniform. She was a doll in charge of the administration of the S02 Regional Integration Base.

Originally, she was in administration of the 213 Command, located at the forefront of S02 region, which was divided and managed by several command departments.

The unit she belonged to was among the most elite in G&K. All the dolls in the command staff were proud and enthusiastic about fighting Sangvis.

However, their pride and self-esteem were ruthlessly crushed. The most elite unit was mercilessly defeated by the one of Sangvis' new type of doll.

And even though she managed to recover as much as she could and returned from a temporary command book, all she could see was a destroyed command and a dead commander.

With everyone shocked and saddened, Leona did everything she could, including patching up the troops, posting reports, and strengthening her defenses.

And she and her unit were stationed in a "Integrated Base of Operations" that collected dolls from similar situations.

Leona, who will be one of the pillars of G&K's largest-ever base command, a collection of Sangvis' new dolls and dolls that have been lost by weapons, was waiting for the new commander to come today,

"Leona, is it cold and you're already waiting for him?"

The name of the doll who spoke kindly is Kate. She was another doll in charge of the administration and supply of the base.

As the three command centers were combined, there were twice as many dolls in charge of administration, supply, and maintenance as ordinary bases.

Leona recalled the other dolls she saw at the base today. In the appearance of the dolls, there were many dolls that showed unusually anxious symptoms.

'No one will be able to concentrate on their work or training anyway. If we can't do it right..."

"Call all the dolls."

"Huh?"

"Let's get together and greet the commander. Put the base defense back in unmanned mode. It'll be all right for a moment."

*****

Twenty minutes later, when more than 40 tactical dolls gathered, the heliport, which allowed large transport helicopters to get off, felt narrow.

The dolls knew very well that first impressions were important, so they started fighting for good seats to get a chance to appeal themselves more. 

Eventually, Leona stepped up.

"Everyone goes down except for the ones in charge of administration."

"COME ON!"

"If you don't go down, there's no dessert for a week."

With the exception of the three dolls, the rest quickly descended from the helipod at the brutal threat of taking the sweet dessert out.

After a while, the sound they wanted came from afar.

A black helicopter with the G&K logo landed.

The helicopter door opened and they stared at the man in the red uniform getting out of the helicopter.

'At las...'

Leona suppressed her overflowing emotions and managed her expression.

And just as she opened her mouth to say hello, she stopped when she saw another woman getting off the helicopter.

She was a beauty with silver hair and closed eyes.

"Two commanders...?"

Although doubtful, Leona did not forget the priority of work.

"Welcome to the S02 Regional Integrated Base of Operations!"

The three dolls on the helipad all saluted the two people who got off the helicopter. Leona was relieved to see a slight smile on the expressionless face of the man who had been looking at the dolls for a while.

"Nice to meet you. I am Trevor Reznik, who has been appointed as the tactical commander of S02 as of today. She is my adjutant."

"My name is Diana Cross."

"Oh... so you already have lieutenant."

Leona sympathized with the murmurs of sighs from below.

"Rather than that, are all the dolls in the base now here?"

"Yes, the defense of the base is set to unmanned mode."

Leona was nervous. He might be reprimanded or scolded for neglecting the defense of the base. Her joy that he had made a good first impression on her was momentarily overcome by her worry that he had left a bad impression on her.

"Good."

"...????"

Leona doubted her ears. Did the Commander say things went well?

Trevor manipulated the tablet he was holding and handed it to Leona.

When she saw the screen of the tablet handed to her, Leona was taken aback.

Armored infantry vehicles, multi-purpose armored vehicles, unmanned attack drones, infantry exoskeleton combat suits, and more.

The pictures and words on the screen were not something a mere PMC could deal with.

"Hey... Commander? May I ask what are that?"

"Support equipment."

Leona blankly stares at Trevor. Diana, who was standing behind, kindly added an additional explanation.

"Equipment for use by this base's combat units."

As the three administrative and supply dolls stood idly by, looking at the tablet screen, a loud sound began to be heard again from the sky, which should have been quiet now.

Gray aircraft with futuristic designs were flying with container boxes 3 to 4 times the size of the aircraft hanging underneath them.

Vacant lot in front of the base's warehouse, which was too wide and empty, was filled with large containers. Trevor descended the helipod and headed toward the container pile.

"...What are you trying to do?"

"Organize equipmet."

Trevor's succinct words barely brought Leona back to her senses.

And the color of her face turned white. If what is in front of her eyes is not a hallucination, it is that her work is piled high.

The puppets in charge of administration and supply of the 3rd generation, shouldered by the weight of the harsh reality, led all the puppets in the base to organize supplies with the new commander and his lieutenant.

=====

As this novel mixes the setting of Killzone with the setting of Girls' Frontline, it is quite different from the original work.