Pilot

"YOU KNOW WHAT? FUCK YOU 'DAD', FUCK YOU ' MUM' AND FUCK ME FOR LETTING MY GUARD DOWN, WHICH I WILL NEVER DO AGAIN. I DONT WANT TO SEE EITHER OF YOUR FACES AGAIN EITHER, YOU HEAR ME? STAY THE FUCK AWAY FROM ME" Kiah shouts as she slams the door of the apartment she used to call home.

___

'the thing about Kiah Balencia, or key as we like to call her, is that she has no self control over her emotions, she impulsively does things she would soon regret later on when the anger wears off. she hated herself for this, but most importantly, she hated the fact that she had to live like this, live with a illness that would stick with her for the rest of her life. bipolar disorder.'

___

as i left the house i slid my jordan 4s on, connected my AirPods, and listened to my favourite song, 'never felt so alone, Labrinth (ft Billie Eilish), a slow song that helps me calm down. i walk down the dark foot paths, kicking rocks and staring down at my feet, the only source of light being the scattered street lights flickering. rain started pouring down on me, leaving my hoodie and socks soak leaving my feet cold and my jordans squeak against the now shining wet road. looking up i realise that im quite literately in the middle of nowhere, recognising nothing. "fuckkk" i whisper under my breath. i was now freezing cold and tired from all the walking, my head aching from all the stress. i blink out all the water gathered in my eyes from the rain and look around, locating any place to crash. i keep walking, seeing a glowing sign with the word 'milk' on it. walking towards it i realise that its a gas station. "not ideal but it'll work" i mumble walking towards the radiant light.

"hey kid wake up" i hear a monotone voice say. i open my eyes slightly groaning from the sunlight to see a buzz cut orange bearded man kneeling down in front of me shaking my shoulder lightly. "shit my bad man, was gonna leave as soon as i woke up i swear" i say slowly getting up from the rough cement ground, wiping off the gravel on the back of my track pants. "nah kid you good, why u sleepn here tho?" he says walking towards a white plastic chair placed right across from the entrance of the gas stations open door. "so i gotta explain myself to a stranger i just met huh?" was the attitude necessary? no, but i was to tired to care. "sorry bruh didnt mean nothin like that" he says unbothered, scratching the back of his head and getting up from his chair.

___

'it was the end of summer, the week before school started. i had no intention of staying clean. and jules had just moved to town.'

___

"yo fez, oh hey key?" rue says confused at my presence, waving at the mystery guy and walking up to me. "rue bennett? look whos finally out of rehab" i say sarcastically as i hug her. at first she stands still, tensed up for a sec, but quickly hugs me back loosely. "wai youz know eachother?" the guy with the buzz cut who im presuming is called fez says, turning around with a blunt tucked behind his ear. "yeah, kiah is like my fam" "word" i say leaning back against the wall. he shrugs it off and starts talking to rue. "theres some new girl in town that i think you gonna be friends with" he starts. "who?" rue says, now focused on the conversation. "shit i dont know. she came in yesterday lookin all sailor moon and shit. im thinking to myself, like, look like someone rue would get along with" he finishes, beginning to light his blunt.

___

'which was sorta like a dead-on observation for fezco whos not normally revolving in the same direction as planet earth'

___

"so how long you been back?" he asks sitting back down on his chair, looking up at rue whos now standing infront of him. "five days" "and like how you feelin?" he says tilting his head up. "ever since i gave my life over to the lord and saviour jesus christ things have been like really good" "word" he replies, "thats whats up" i say walking over to rue and resting my arm on her shoulder.  "yeah?" he replies looking over at me. "she's fuckn with you fez" i say smiling slightly. "shiiit. i ont judge" he says back laughing and putting his hands up in defence. an awkward silence begins before rue starts talking again. "uh, but low key, is ashtray in the back?" fez looks up at rue and his face slightly drops. "you serious?" "what, you think 'cause i went to rehab i stayed clean'" the curly haired girl says with her lips pressed together into a smile. "i mean.. aint that the point?" i say with zero emotion on my face. "yeah well? the worlds coming to an end and i havent even graduated high school yet." she replies walking backwards with both her hands in her maroon zip up hoodie pockets. i look back over at fez who now has a disappointed look on his face loudly sighing. "i swear that girl tryna be the death of us all" i say looking back at rue whos now opening the door making the music from inside the freezer seep out of the room. "shitt y'all have a room inside yo freezer?" i add, lightly chuckling and slowly turning my head back to face fez. "tell me bout it" he says referring to my comment about rue, playfully rolling his eyes. "the room in the freezer is where my lil bro is, he around youz age. we got business back there" "what, your like dealers or somethin?" i ask, curiously. "yeah i guess" he says laughing, rubbing the top of his head. "so you got a 15 year old selling back there?" i ask surprised. "yeah he like my business partna man. his names ashtray" i try not to laugh at his name but its pretty obvious that i find it funny. "he tryda eat my gramas cigarette from an ashtray when he was young so we called his ass ashtray" he explains with a smile from seeing how surprised i was by his name. "imma go check this shit out" i say walking over to the freezer door. "good luck wich that, ashtray dont fuck wit new people"