Night Call

Days had passed since the Driver had come back into your life, and things seemed to be going well. You had been spending a lot of time together, and he had been doing his best to make things right. You had started to trust him again, and you felt like things were finally falling into place.

But one evening, as you were sitting together on the couch, the Driver's phone rang. He looked at the caller ID and hesitated before answering.

"Hello?" he said, his voice guarded.

You watched as his expression changed, and he spoke briefly with the person on the other end. When he hung up, he turned to you with a solemn expression.

"I have to go," he said. "There's something I need to take care of."

You looked at him with concern, but he didn't offer any more information. He got up and started to gather his things.

"Is everything okay?" you asked.

The Driver hesitated for a moment before answering.

"There's been a complication with something I was working on," he said. "I need to go and take care of it."

You could tell that he wasn't telling you the whole truth, but you didn't push. You watched as he left, and you couldn't shake the feeling that something was wrong.

Hours passed, and you tried to distract yourself, but your thoughts kept going back to the Driver. Finally, he called you, and his voice was tense.

"I need to talk to you," he said. "Can you come to me?"

You agreed, and within minutes, you were standing in front of him.

"What's going on?" you asked, looking at him with concern.

The Driver took a deep breath before speaking.

"I can't do this anymore," he said. "My life is too dangerous, and I can't risk anyone else getting hurt because of me."

You looked at him, not understanding what he was saying.

"What do you mean?" you asked.

The Driver looked at you with a mixture of sadness and regret.

"There are people after me," he said. "People who want to hurt me. I thought I could keep you safe, but I was wrong. I can't risk putting you in danger."

You felt a surge of emotion as you realized what he was saying. He was leaving, and he wasn't coming back.

"What about us?" you asked, your voice shaking.

The Driver looked at you, and you could see the pain in his eyes.

"I can't be with you," he said. "It's not safe for you. I can't risk putting you in danger."

You felt a mix of sadness and anger as you looked at him. You wanted to be with him, but you knew he was right. His life was too dangerous, and there was no way you could be a part of it.

"What are you going to do?" you asked.

The Driver looked at you, and for a moment, he seemed lost.

"I don't know," he said. "I have to leave everything behind and start over. It's the only way I can keep everyone I care about safe."

You felt a lump form in your throat as you realized what he was saying. He was leaving, and he wasn't coming back.

"I'll never forget you," he said, taking your hand. "You changed my life, and I'll always be grateful for that."

You looked into his eyes, and you knew that this was the end. He was leaving, and there was nothing you could do to stop him.

And with that, he let go of your hand and walked away, leaving you alone with your thoughts and feelings.

As you watched him disappear into the night, you knew that this was goodbye. The Driver was gone, and he wasn't coming back. But you also knew that he would always hold a special place in your heart, and that his memory would stay with you forever.

THE END