TWO

"What do we do?" Ashley asked

"What do we do?" Ashley asked. We were hidden behind the thick pillars that separated the glass panes lining the church stone walls.

Leon turned to look at us. "Your father trusts me. And I need you to trust me too, and do exactly as I say," he pleaded.

In order to decide whether or not to trust him, Ashley looked to me for my answer. I gave her a small nod of approval. He is my coworker after all.

She looked back atLeon. "Okay."

He gave a little smile, "I'm gonna get you home safe." he said looking from Ashley to me.

I knew he was telling Ashley this but the way he looked at me implied something different. Like those words were meant for me. As my heart thumped faster, I hoped I wasn't being delusional at his gesture. 

The sound of the church doors opening pulled me out of my thoughts. Leon raised a finger and gave us a 'just a second' before moving towards the railing and crouching down so he couldn't be seen.

Following Leon's movements, I pulled Ashley with me and pushed her down in a crouching position. The villagers gathered and continued their odd chant, looking around for us.

"All right, let's get the hell out of here." He said looking back at us.

I looked over at where the ladder I pushed down earlier was. It was a possible way to escape without being seen by the villagers. "Follow me." I said, heading towards the ladder on the left side of us.

As we walked over to the ladder, I pointed to it and instructed Ashley to climb first. I followed right after, making sure she didn't fall.

"What do we do? There's no way out!" Ashley quietly cried as Leon stood up after climbing the ladder.

I puffed out air, walking towards the window and pointing out. "This way," I said.

Leon moved to the other side of the window and looked down, "We're gonna have to jump." He crawled onto the window sill, looking back at Ashley and I for a moment before jumping down.

Ashley ran to the window, giving me a worried look before looking down at where Leon had jumped. "What? No way." She shrieked.

"It's OK. I've got you." Leon called to us.

I placed a hand on Ashley's shoulder. "This is the only way." I said, smiling and squeezing her shoulder.

She looked worried before climbing over the windowsill. She looked back at me for a moment before pushing off to fall down into Leon's awaiting arms.

I climbed onto the small ledge under the window. It had started to rain heavily, making it harder to see and hear. Giving one last look behind me, I dropped down to the stone floor. The impact made my legs tingle a little in pain.

Leon looked at me before turning and moving down the ladder on the side of the church building. I looked at Ashley, moving towards her so that I didn't have to yell for her to hear me.