THREE

I stared off at where Luis had disappeared to

I stared off at where Luis had disappeared to. We all stood in the same position completely silent so you could hear a pin drop. The birds got louder as they chirped into the night sky along with the wind rustling through the trees. I bit my lip in confusion, trying to figure out who this stranger was and why he was trying to help us.

Taking a low breath, I broke the eerie silence. "Agent Kennedy–"

"Leon." he said cutting me off, "please just Leon." he pleaded as he started to head down the trail in the same direction as Luis.

I glanced at Ashley, grabbing her hand and squeezed it as I pulled her with me, following behind Leon. "Leon," I tested out. A small blush rose up my neck to my cheeks. "Luis, who is he? Why is he here?" I asked, stepping over a fallen tree branch. It had white markings near the bottom of the break like someone had burned it off one of the trees.

Leon turned his head slightly toward me. "He used to work for Umbrella. Not sure why he's here though. I have a feeling he has something to do with this." He grunted out.

There was a hint of anger when he mentioned Umbrella, as though there was more to his story than what was gossiped about in STRATCOM. My eyebrows furrowed in confusion. Raccoon City ended up having some viral outbreak after a vaccine had been distributed out. This made all of the civilians attack each other and the government decided that the only way to control it was to demolish it completely. Or so they told us.

Leon moved his hand up to his ear as he pushed a low hanging branch out of the way. I watched his face shift from anger to annoyance as he listened to his FOS. "Negative. Too dangerous. We're gonna get out of here and find someplace safe." he said, looking around and up the cliff side on the left of us. He sighed after a minute, "Don't worry about it. We'll swim home if we have to. Condor One out."

My nose scrunched at his statement. I hated the water with all of my being. For years I have always had an odd fear of the ocean. Maybe it was because even after so many years we still haven't explored most of it.

"What's... What's gonna happen to me?" Ashley asked from beside me. Our fingers were still interlocked as we continued down the dark path.

"Right now, let's just focus on getting out of here." I said looking at her. I softly nudged my shoulder against hers as a small gesture of comfort. It was hard seeing my best friend this way. I wished it was me in her place instead.

"Yeah. Right." Her voice trembled, squeezing my hand tightly.

As we kept making our way through the path, the soft blue glow of the moonlight on the wet rocks slowly disappeared into bright purple colours.

A man dressed in dark robes stood under a bright purple flame. His hood covered his head but I could still see a small purple bandana with white patterns covering his face. I picked up my pace, letting go of Ashley's hand so I could get a better look at the hooded figure.