SEVEN

We cautiously entered, pistols at the ready, scanning for any potential threats

I moved past Leon, venturing farther in. About five feet away, my attention was drawn to an open window.

"You two can stop right there," a feminine voice emanated from behind us. "Wouldn't make me use this, would you?"

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. I heard Leon drop his pistol, but I hesitated.

"You too," the voice instructed.

A small huff escaped my lips as I gently set my gun down to the side. 

"Well, after six years, this is one hell of a greeting... Ada," Leon greeted, his voice taking on a dark tone.

"You don't seem surprised," Ada pointed out, her tone tinged with curiosity. "Interesting..."

Ada glanced at me, a small smirk playing on her soft features. As Leon's foot moved back, Ada and I both noticed the subtle shift, and she swiftly kicked him. Leon skillfully caught Ada's kick, which was aimed at his head. He parried a few of her jabs before turning and pressing his knife against her throat, bringing their spar to a temporary halt.

"Try using knives next time," Leon suggested. "They're better for close encounters."

I couldn't resist a subtle raise of my eyebrows; he was unquestionably handsome. However, within a few seconds, they furrowed in response to the words Leon uttered. They felt all too familiar.

"Not a bad move," Ada acknowledged with a smile. "Very smooth," she added.

"Who are you working for now?" Leon inquired, and I picked up my gun and handed Leon's back to him while Ada remained under Leon's knife.

"Oh, come on," Ada said, looking between us. "You know I don't work and tell."

Leon retracted his knife and turned away. I stood behind him, offering him his gun with an outstretched arm. He smiled, accepting it from my hand.

"Leave the girl. She's at a disadvantage either way," she suggested. "If you walk away now, who knows?" She walked toward the open window in front of us. "Maybe you two will live to meet me again."

"You think we're going to give up that easily?" Leon challenged.

Ada's head slightly dropped. "Right," she paused. "How about we continue this discussion another time?" With that, she disappeared.

I didn't wait for Leon and walked towards the other door in the room.

"Who is that?" I asked. "A mercenary?"