EIGHT

"So how are we getting out of here exactly?" I inquired, gazing out at the courtyard. It was enclosed by towering, verdant hedges that resembled a labyrinth, meticulously trimmed to form a network of twisting passages and dead-ends.

"Come on, Sophie," Ashley chimed in, linking her arm with mine as we synchronized our steps while following Leon. " Smarty pants like you should crack this in no time."

I grumbled, squinting out into the night. In the middle of the maze, a grand staircase led to a metal fence-like door, with rolled-up flags hanging overhead. "There," I said, raising my hand and pointing at the door. "Our way out is probably through there."

Each twist and turn seemed to lead us deeper into the maze, the towering hedges looming above us like ancient sentinels. The relentless pain in my legs and the relentless ache in my feet became impossible to ignore. Each step felt like a battle against my own body's limitations, and I had to suppress a wince with every movement.

My legs, once strong and dependable, had been reduced to trembling, wobbly supports. The injury to my right leg throbbed with every step. The pain in my left foot was no less intense. My muscles had turned into knots, and my joints felt like they might give way at any moment. The uneven gravel beneath my shoes seemed to conspire against me, sending sharp jabs of agony coursing through my limbs with each stride.

Every time my foot hit the ground, the pain shot from my injured leg to my foot, making me wince and grit my teeth.

The soft glow of the lanterns that hung near the staircase came into view, cascading a soft orange glow onto the steps. As we got closer, my legs numbed and gave out, making me crumple to the floor, almost pulling Ashley down with me. 

"Oh my god, Sophia!" Ashley cried, grabbing onto my arms.

I felt another pair of hands latch onto my arms, pulling me further away from the ground. 

"I'm fine. I'm fine!" I exclaimed frantically, as Leon and Ashley carried me to the stone steps.

Leon rolled up my pant leg, revealing my injured limb. The once deep, bloody holes embedded in my skin were now smaller and shallower.

I stared at my leg in shock. "How is that possible?" I asked, looking up to meet Leon's concerned gaze.

"I'm not sure," he replied, glancing back down at my legs. "I found the green herb back in Raccoon City. Whatever Umbrella was cooking up there, this is one of them," he explained, applying more of the paste to the now almost healed wound.

"Amazing," I marvelled, observing as Leon re-wrapped my leg.

"There," he said, rolling my pant leg back down and standing up, brushing imaginary dust off his pants. "I think you should stay here, rest for a bit."

"I'll rest when I'm dead," I declared, gripping onto the railing.

Leon placed his hand on mine. "And right now, you need to rest so you don't end up getting us all killed," he said, chuckling.

I glared up at Leon, locking eyes with his blue gaze before shifting my gaze to Ashley, who silently nodded in agreement with Leon.

I pursed my lips in defeat, letting my hand slip out of Leon's grip and fall limp back into my lap. "Fine," I huffed out.

~~~~~~~~

I sighed anxiously, kicking my heeled boots together. It had been around 10 minutes since Leon and Ashley left to find a way to unlock the door. It had been almost pure silence, except for the occasional gunshot ripping through the air, making me flinch at its harsh sound.