Chapter 2: Underground

2nd POV

For a long time, there was simply nothing. Just darkness surrounding you like an old friend, numbing the pain you had been subjected to. A cold reprieve from everything. It was just you, the shadows and eternal silence.

It took you a good few moments to realise you weren't dead. It certainly felt as if you were. Every muscle in your body ached, your head pounded and your wings must have gotten twisted at a bad angle when you fell, as they too hurt the moment you tried to move.

Slowly, you opened your eyes, squinting when light immediately assaulted them with its brightness. You groaned, gritting your teeth to push yourself up. You had landed in a cavern of some sort, your fall broken by a bunch of grass and flowers that seemed to grow down here, fed by the sunlight streaming in from above. Everywhere around you was dark, the rockface looking rigged and unclimbable, with sharp points sticking out of it that would surely cut your hand if you tried to touch it. In the shadows you could see a path deeper into the underground.

You looked yourself over for any wounds from the fall, noting with relief that there didn't seem to be any permanent damage, merely a few sore spots at worst. Your armour was gone, obviously, leaving you in the outfit you usually had under it. At least it meant you'll be comfortable and won't have your movement restricted by anything.

The biggest change in you, were your wings. You spread them out, wincing when the right one screamed in protest. You already knew it was sore on the elbow joint and the skin would probably be tender if you tried to touch it. Instead of the usual gold feathers with only the marginal coverts being white, you were met with black. Soot black primaries and secondaries, with ebony black coverts and alula.

It looked... hauntingly beautiful.

You ran your hand through your feathers as you thought what to do now. With the right wing bruised, flying would be too much of a risk. Even if you did manage to take off into the air, you had no guarantee it wouldn't give out on you and you'd rather not have a repeat of your fall. Besides, even if you could fly, God probably made sure you wouldn't be able to leave either way. They wouldn't have left you with your wings otherwise.

With a quiet sigh you straightened up, eyes landing on the way deeper into the mountain. At least you assumed you were now on the other side of the barrier, considering God's words before they banished you. With the thought of a possible meeting with a monster in mind, you pressed your wings tight against your body.

They began to shrink and shift, snaking around your entire back and turning into black lines in an outline of them that ran from your shoulder blades to just below your waist. All you had to do now was keep your back covered up and you should look like a normal human.

With that taken care of you started your trek into the mountain. The scenery shifted almost immediately, going from dark rocky surface to purple bricks. They looked a bit cracked, but still in a good shape, a few vines of ivy starting to grow on top of them. Most of the rooms contained some type of puzzle which baffled you -why have puzzles to leave a room?- but they were easy enough to solve and pass.

The only place that gave you any trouble was a room with spikes on the floor. You figured some of them were probably fake and you needed to find the right path through them, but the idea of stepping onto a wrong tile did not sound like something you'd like to deal with. Instead, you spread your wings for a moment and even with the pain in your right one, you managed to glide above the danger zone and land safely on the other side. Hiding them again, you continued on.

The deeper you went, the harder it became to avoid the monsters. You knew they'd probably not be thrilled to see a 'human' down in the mountain. It had been 30, maybe 40 years since the barrier had been raised, so there are probably still some monsters who remember the life on the surface and wouldn't hesitate to take their revenge on any person that winds up stuck in the underground too.

You know you'd probably want vengeance had you been in their situation.