Chapter 5: Slow Recovery

Sooo, guess who's officially done with all her finals? And high school in general. I can't believe I'll be going to university in a few months. Might be 19 but I'm still simping for a skeleton. Nothing changed <3

2nd POV

The bookshelf had 78 books on it. 12 were thin, 66 thick. 40 were bound in brown leather, 18 in red dyed one, 12 in blue and 8 in green. The bedside table had a thin crack in the wood right on the side of it and the paint on the wall right near the window was starting to peel away.

It had been over an hour since Gaster left and it was safe to say you were getting absolutely bored. With the wound still freshly bandaged and tender, you didn't want to risk trying to walk around and reopening it. You had a feeling he would not come rushing in if you did end up bleeding out on his carpet.

Because of it, you were bedbound and thus, the only thing you could do to elevate your boredom was looking around the room and trying to spot as many details as possible. It had gotten boring after barely 20 minutes.

You sighed, your head falling back against the pillow as you stared at the ceiling. Was this really your life now?

Before you could get lost in your head again, you heard footsteps outside your door. Two sets of feet stopped right in front of it, one really light -probably one of the children then- and one heavier. Your suspicions were confirmed as soon as they started speaking as you could hear it was Paps and Gaster.

You knew nothing other than that however, as the door was muffling whatever they were talking about. It must have been an argument though, as Gaster's voice raised while he was speaking. After a few minutes of back and forth from the two, the older let out a sigh loud enough that you could hear it clearly even when being in another room and then walked off.

A knock sounded not even a moment later and you barely had time to finish saying 'come in', before the door swung open and, just as you guessed, Paps walked in, holding a tray with a plate on it.

"HELLO HUMAN! I, THE GREAT AND WONDERFUL PAPYRUS, HAVE MADE YOU SPAGHETTI TO MAKE YOU FEEL BETTER! DAD HELPED ME!" So, his full name was Papyrus then, good to know.

You smiled at the kid and slowly sat up, making sure not to jolt the wound as you did so. Papyrus grinned back, waddling over to you to hand you the plate.

You picked it up, along with the fork laying right beside it, about to pretend you needed to eat, when your stomach grumbled.

Huh?!

That... was not supposed to happen. Angel bodies did not need sustenance to work, they were kept functioning solely by God's magic- ah. Of course. They had probably cut you off from that magic the moment you fell, thus making your body need to find the required nutrients the old way. Through food. It had been a luxury before, but now it seems that it has once again become a necessity.

You scooped some of the spaghetti onto the fork and put it in your mouth, chewing slowly to savour the taste. It had been a long time since you last had the chance to eat. Papyrus watched as you did so, eyes big and sparkling as he waited for your opinion on his cooking.

"It's delicious, kid. You truly are great and wonderful." He grinned brightly at your words, puffing his chest out in pride.

You continued on with your meal, while he climbed up into the bed to sit by your legs, blabbing on about the exact steps he took to make the perfect spaghetti. It didn't take long for you to finish your entire plate, especially considering your stomach had been empty for longer than you could remember, body sustained solely on magic, only to suddenly be needing food once more.

Once you were done Papyrus grabbed the plate from your hands and jumped off the bed, rushing out of the room to put it away. You thought that it was it for the company and were about to try and get a nap in -if you need food again, you probably will also need sleep- when you heard his footsteps' pitter-patter. He poked his head through the doorway and, seeing you were still awake, walked back in. In his grasp was a book that you couldn't really see the title of.