Chapter 7: Almost like a mo-

Hope you didn't think I'm dead. Uni is kicking my ass but at least procrastinating studying means I suddenly get a burst of energy to write. I hope an almost 4 thousand words long chapter is enough of a recompensation for months of silence

3rd POV

This morning started for Gaster like any other, a nice familiar routine he's found himself in for the past month. He woke up, brushed his teeth, then got dressed in his usual turtleneck sweater and black coat. Walking downstairs, he greeted his sons, going to the kitchen to start working on making some breakfast for them. After that, he'll check on the human and be off to work.

His phone rang. That was not part of his routine.

He pulled it out of his pocket and looked at the caller, brow bones scrunching in concern when he saw it was from work. Nobody ever dared call him unless it was urgent. He answered said call, putting the phone up to his ear canal.

"This is the Royal Scientist W.D. Gaster speaking. What is the matter?"

There was a panicked, but relieved voice on the other side of the line. One he could recognise as a scientist working on the CORE. Not good then. Very not good.

"Dr.Gaster, it's an emergency! One of the CORE's unfinished chambers is overheating and we don't know what to do-" Before the monster could finish their sentence, Gaster was already beside his front door, hastily putting on his coat and trying to keep the phone from falling away from his ear holes with his shoulder. The panic at possible consequences the CORE overheating could have made him momentarily forget he could just use his magic for that.

"I will be right there. Evacuate the staff from that area and wait for me. Do not engage with it." He barely waited for the 'Yes Doctor' before he hung up, throwing his phone into his pocket afterwards to dress quicker.

In less than a minute he had his coat on and threw the door open, rushing out of his house. Hopefully Indarra will come soon. He doesn't like leaving his sons alone for long, especially not with that human around. Though, he has to admit, she has been... pleasant enough of a company. Even if she gets on his nerves.

Speaking of the devil, he saw Indarra walking from Waterfall and sighed in relief. His sons won't be alone for longer than a few minutes then. Good.

He ran past the fish monster, his coat flapping in the wind as he rushed through the street, squinting his eyes a little to stop the snow from falling into his eye sockets.

He got up to Waterfall before he remembered that he could teleport. Which he did immediately after, popping up in front of the entrance. A few scientists that were outside for a smoke break jumped in fear or surprise, to which he didn't even spare them a glance. He had bigger things to worry about.

He took a deep breath, slowing down and walking into the CORE, grabbing his lab coat and throwing it on while on the way. He got to the chamber, immediately knowing it's that one by the blaring red lights and alarms ringing through the hallways, grading on his poor hearing.

He paid them no mind, getting to the source of the problem and taking a deep breath. Alright, that's not that bad of a problem. He can fix it.

With that thought he got to work, deft fingers and additional hands summoned making it a much easier task as he identified the problem and then figured out a solution. He was the brightest mind in the underground after all, whatever the problem was, he could fix it, he was sure of it.

***

It took exactly 5 hours, 41 minutes and 28 seconds for him to identify the problem, figure out the solution and then put it in place.

The red lights and alarm that were blaring the entire time were finally shut off, their irritating sound and flashes gone and giving his poor skull a rest. With the problem taken care of, he could take a small break, one he for sure deserved. Especially since he was yet to have any breakfast and it was nearing noon.