II. buddy

chapter 2
buddy

AS soon as Gracie left, Lucy grabbed her things and left to go to Taylor's

AS soon as Gracie left, Lucy grabbed her things and left to go to Taylor's. She and Taylor hung out very often, so this was nothing new.

She pulled in around the back of Taylor's Cornelia Street home. She was always told to go around back or park a few blocks down in fear of people seeing her at Taylor's location.

She knew Jack and Taylor would be in the studio, so she pulled out her house key and walked into the home from the back door that led to the garden. Before going upstairs, she helped herself to some diet coke with vodka Taylor seemed to have laid out.

Lucy walked into the room, and Taylor got straight up to hug her. "Hey, Luce!"

Lucy smiled and punched Jack in the arm. "Ow," he whispered to himself.

"Sit. We're coming up with random lyric ideas," Taylor said with a soft smile.

"What do you have?" Lucy asked, looking at the mess of papers surrounding her.

The paper she picked up read, "Ocean blue eyes looking in mine. I feel like I might sink and drown and die." "Guess I'll just stumble on home to my cats, ugh. "

"Okay, what about, 'Guess I'll just stumble on home to my cats, ugh. Alone. Unless you wanna come along."

Taylor hummed, satisfied. "Good one, buddy." Taylor ran her hands through her blonde hair and looked over at Lucy. "So, how's my girl?"

Lucy looked up from the paper and sighed. "Not good. Gracie won't break it off with Bennett. I really didn't wanna say anything, but I did this morning, and I feel bad."

"I mean, this dude is a mess, right?" Jack piped up.

"Yeah. He is," Lucy said before putting her head in her hands as Taylor ran a hand up and down her back.

"If he's not good for her, let her know. But don't be too pushy about it," Taylor stated, probably speaking from experience.

"He's been with her for a year and avoids saying that he loves her."

"Um, ew," Jack mumbled.

Lucy turned to lie down on Taylor's lap as she picked up more lyrics that she held up in the air to see.

"Don't worry about it, honey. Drink this," Taylor said, swirling a drink above Lucy's head.

Lucy immediately sat up and let Taylor pour the drink into her mouth.

"Hm," Lucy said, trying to speak and swallow at the same time. "After the line 'and all the pieces fall right into place,' we could do, 'getting caught up in the moment'... something."

"Yes. That's good," Jack confirms, writing the words down. "Lipstick on your face."

"Love," Taylor affirms, sipping her drink.

   •••

After around 2 hours of songwriting, the 3 had about 2 songs almost set and done. Jack had moved on to playing with the cats, so that left Taylor and Lucy alone to talk. Both girls were slightly tipsy, laughing, and catching up after not seeing each other for a week, which was long for them.

"So, no boyfriend? Situationships?" Taylor asked.

"No. Well- this is definitely nothing, but Gracie has been acting a little different around me. Like, I can't describe it, but it's nothing she's done before. You know?"

"Oh my gosh, totally. Does she even like girls?"

"No, she doesn't, which makes it even weirder," Lucy admitted.

"Do you like girls?" Taylor asked softly, not trying to make Lucy upset.

Lucy sat there, looking around, thinking. "Um, I don't know. Maybe? I haven't thought about it. I would've told you."

Taylor smiled, looking down at Lucy in her lap as she played with her hair that reminded her so much of her own. Taylor thought of Lucy as at least a little sister, a daughter even.

"I really hope she doesn't like me 'cause I know if she did, I would probably fall for her," Lucy confessed.

"I know. I know. It's okay," Taylor whispered as she held Lucy.

"Can you drive me home in a little? You're more sober than I am," Lucy asked.

"Yeah. Just let me know when you're ready."

In that moment, Lucy's phone rang. Taylor grabbed it and handed it to her. "It's Gracie," she said.

Lucy took the phone into her hands and picked up the call. "Hey. What's up?"

"Hey Luce. It's Aaron. Me and Gracie were writing and she got really upset and I think she needs help. I didn't know what to do so I clicked on her most recent call."

"Okay. This happens to her a lot. Could you give the phone to her?"

"I would, but she's in the bathroom. Can I put you outside the door on speaker?" Aaron asked, nervously.

"Yes. That works," Lucy confirmed. These panic attacks happened to Gracie fairly often, but she had medication for it.

"Gracie? It's Lucy. What's going on?" All Lucy heard was whimpers and heavy breathing on the other end.

"Did you take your medication today?"

"N-no," Gracie admitted with a trembling voice. Taylor looked over at Lucy with a questioning look.

"Breathe slowly. You're okay. Let's count to 5 together, okay? You start."

"Um," Gracie started with an unsteady voice, "One."

Lucy nodded. "Yes. That's good. One."

"Two," both girls repeated at the same time. Lucy could hear her best friend's voice start to even out slowly.

After a few moments of silence, Lucy spoke up. "Breathe, Cici. You're alright. I'm right here."

"Three," a deeper voice spoke. It was Aaron. "Come on, G. Three."

"Three. Four," Gracie breathed out lightly.

Lucy smiled and praised her best friend. "So good. One more. Together."

"Five," the two said at the same time.

Gracie through her head back and thought about what caused her panic attack.

The song, Amelie.

Why did this literally take me so long. Anyways. THANKS FOR COMMENTING. I LOVE READING THEM. I GET A GOOD CHUCKLE OUT OF SOME 🤗😘