IV. inside out and backwards

chapter four
inside out and backwards

GRACIE was leaning on her kitchen counter overwhelmed with emotions she could barely be pulled away from

GRACIE was leaning on her kitchen counter overwhelmed with emotions she could barely be pulled away from. Weenie was jumping up on her leg which made her pick him up and hold him close without redirecting her gaze from the framed photo of her and Bennet. She heard a key turn in the door. Was that her key in the door?

Lucy walked in, tiptoeing. She was making an attempt to scare Gracie, assuming she was feeling better than she was earlier. She walked up behind her and shook her shoulders with a chuckle. When she got no reaction out of Gracie and tried to turn her around, but she was staying put. Lucy furrowed her eyebrows and moved to look at Gracie's face, who tried to turn the other way.

"Hey, it's okay. What's going on?" Lucy asked, concerned. Gracie took a deep breath before turning around. She blinked rapidly and swallowed before saying, "I broke up with him."

Internally, Lucy was jumping for joy. Confetti poppers were going off. She felt so incredibly relieved, but had to push down those feelings for her best friend. "Oh. Okay. Are you alright?"

Gracie was looking at the ground, while Lucy took Weenie from her arms and into her own. Lucy bounced him up and down like a baby. After all, he was Gracie's baby. "Yeah. I guess. I don't know. It's whatever."

Lucy shook her head. "No. It's not whatever. Your relationship just ended. Do you need me to do anything for you?" Lucy looked at her with admiration in her eyes. Her eyes always shinned the brightest when looking at Gracie.

"I'm good. Thanks though," she paused, and idea rising in her mind. "I wanna go out," she stated firmly. She was already planning what she was gonna wear and who she was going to go with.

Lucy had shock written all over her face. Gracie? At a party? After a breakup? This was strange, she thought. "Oh- are you sure? Maybe we should just have a night in. I could cook for you!"

Gracie brushed her off and started to walk up the stairs. "Let's go out, Luce. Please."

Lucy was fine with going out at this point. She had nothing going on in her life. "I mean- yeah. But it's like 6," she replied. Gracie rolled her eyes. "Obviously it's too early. Come upstairs with me," Gracie said, not asking as she pulled Lucy up the stairs with Weenie following close behind.

Once the two girls made it to Gracie's room, Lucy sat on the bed. Gracie was grabbing things from all around the room. Lucy looked confused as she was doing this. She didn't question Gracie, she just let her do her thing. In the many years they had been friends, even at a young age, Lucy knew to leave her best friend be.

"What are you doing?" she asked, although she didn't enjoy questioning her. Gracie was still frantically grabbing things and aggressively placing them next to Lucy on the bed.

"Getting rid of his stuff," Gracie replied, nonchalantly. Lucy looked to her left and saw polaroids of the couple, a necklace, a t-shirt, and a sweatshirt with a "G" embroidered on the right and a "B" embroidered on the left.