Questions

Hebe and Luca were herded off stage to the sounds of screaming and clapping. They were then separated, Luca looking at her fearfully as she shot him a reassuring smile. She was forced into a room in the Justice building, the peacekeepers escorting her practically throwing her into a plush red chair.

She looked around the room, which must have been some sort of chamber where events were held based on the ornate decor. A large red patterned rug spread across the floor, furniture gilded in gold leaf and upholstered in crimson velvet, a large chandelier throwing warm light across the many trophies and plaques packed onto shelves and plastered onto walls. Hebe was in awe at the show of wealth by her district. Although it was favoured by capitolites because of its beaches where they could holiday in luxury, District 4 did have its slums like everywhere else, so Hebe was surprised to see just how much money they were willing to throw at one room. Not to mention all the others that lined the halls of the Justice building.

She was broken from her reverie by the sound of her mothers voice, and Hebe quickly whipped her head around to see Juno Cross being pushed through the door rather roughly by another pair of peacekeepers. Before Hebe could berate them for treating the mother of a future victor in such a way, her mother had wrapped her arms around her tightly, pulling her daughter in close, letting her rest in the crook of her neck while she stroked her hair. They stood like that for some time, Juno occasionally pushing her face into her daughter's hair to muffle her sobs.

The peacekeepers soon returned saying their time was up. Hebe grabbed her mother by the shoulders and stared at her firmly.

"I'm going to win, mum. I'm gonna come back, I swear."

The older woman didn't reply. Hebe kissed her forehead before stepping back to let the peacekeepers escort her out.

Almost as soon as Juno disappeared from sight, Annie appeared in her place, the tension in Hebe's body lessening slightly when her eyes fell on her oldest friend. Hebe smiled serenely, and Annie gave her a fiery grin back before squeezing her tight and patting her back, repeating the same gesture she had before they entered the reaping.

They pulled away still smiling.

"You'll win. I know it. I can feel it. I'll look after Juno, make sure she stays afloat. I've got you covered here, you just focus on getting back, we'll be fine."

"Thank you." Hebe whispered. Now it was her turn to give the bone-crushing hug, repeating over and over that she was going to win, that she was going to come back. They stayed like that until the peacekeepers returned. Hebe gave Annie a kiss on the forehead just like she had for her mother and simply saying,

"I'll see you soon, yeah?"

"You will. Love you sis."

"Love you too."

And with that Annie was whisked away just like her mother, leaving Hebe staring at the spot where she had been, uncertain whether she would see either of them again.

She flopped back down on the chair, not expecting any other visitors. After all she had no other family or close friends so there wasn't anyone else to see.

Until a woman about the same age as her mother stepped through the door, looking like she was in hysterics. Or she certainly had been recently. Her eyes were red and puffy and her skirt was crinkled and muddied like she had been kneeling in it. She was wringing her hands, but stopped when her eyes fell on Hebe, her panic-stricken expression morphing into one of gratitude. Just then it hit her, this must be the mother of Angeline Piscis, the girl who she had volunteered for a mere 30 minutes ago.

Angelines mother clasped her hands together in a tight fist and bowed her head, opening her mouth and letting spill a waterfall of gratitude towards the young girl. Hebe merely smiled and opened her arms, hugging the woman tightly and assuring her that it was no problem and that she was glad she could rescue Angeline from entering the games.