The Deal

Hebe couldn't help but feel her breath pulled from her lungs at the sight of the presidential palace. Yes, she'd never had much love for the extravagance of the Capitol, but she could appreciate a beautiful building when she saw one. She could also understand the significance of this moment, the rite of passage she was currently experiencing, and the climax of her victory tour.

Ambrosia walked briskly in front of Hebe and her mentor, wearing a dress even more extravagant than the one from earlier, with enormous ruffles of blue and green extending out from her hips.

Finnick took long strides to keep up with the woman, but kept his hands buried deep into the pockets of his trousers. He was dressed quite differently than usual, with a pair of black slacks and a well tailored suit jacket that hung off his lithe frame. Underneath was a white shirt with only a few of its buttons done up, that had embroidery of waves that trailed over his body.

Ambrosia suddenly stopped, holding out her arms and taking a deep breath.

"Here it is. The biggest party of the year. Anybody who's anyone is here, and they all want to meet you Hebe!"

"I have no idea why..." Finnick muttered so only his tribute could hear it, and she rewarded him with a slap to the chest.

"Now, keep your chin up, and put on your best smile, because we're almost there!" The woman squealed, not bothering to look back at Hebe. It was lucky she didn't, because she would've been greeted with two miserable faces.

"Any tips?" She whispered, moving closer to the man beside her.

"They can be very, uh, grabby. Just to let you know."

"Great. Just what I need right now."

"What are you two mumbling about?" Ambrosia asked, whipping around with an accusatory look on her face.

The pair jumped apart like they had been caught doing something wrong.

"Nothing." Finnick responded, smiling that stupid charming smile that seemed to always get him out of trouble.

"Hmm," She eyed them both carefully, "No matter then. Just make sure you project properly when you speak. You both know how much I hate mumbling." She spun back around, holding her head high whilst Finnick and Hebe both rolled their eyes at one another.

The group climbed the steps to the front doors of the palace, and Hebe took a quick breath in, revelling in what might be her last breath of freedom.

She immediately plastered on that near perfect smile of hers, waving to the odd member of the crowd that surrounded the entrance way. As expected, Finnick did the same beside her, winking to random members of the Capitol, and laughing as they professed their love to him.

Just like her mentor had said, many of them reached out to grab a hold of her. Some touched her hair, a couple of them even pulling on one of the coils. Another nearly ripped the fin off of the back of her dress. But most of them just reached out to touch her skin or the fabric of her dress, running their long nails over her body.

She had a sudden flashback to the first dream she had after winning her games, the one where the Capitol put her up in a museum and its citizens stole pieces of her flesh. Terrifyingly, it felt like that one had come true.

And she could do nothing but accept their touch, and do everything she could not to recoil. Each time she let out an involuntary shiver of disgust she played it off as shyness, smiling coyly at her admirers, and silently wishing she could put an axe in their face.

Eventually she was out of the hallway, and they were in the main room of the mansion. The entire room of Capitolites turned to watch them enter, clapping and cheering as the group were thrust into the party.