The Train

Hebe sat on the plush sofa on the train, her head buried in her hands as she tried to come to terms with what had happened.

She'd been so foolish, so focused on Annie volunteering that she hadn't even considered the possibility she'd be reaped. Snow must've rigged it and she was certain that every slip in that bowl had her sister's name on it.

Finnick had to hold her back when they called Annie's name. She'd tried to say something, so shout for someone to volunteer in her place, but she couldn't. Snow would punish her even more if she did that.

For a moment she'd been hopeful that someone would do it off of their own back, and that some academy hopeful would leap at the opportunity. But no one had. They'd all clapped as she went up there. And that was when Hebe realised they weren't volunteering on purpose. They were happy for her, after all, this was every career's dream.

Annie played off her shock decently well, striding up to the front of the stage like she was meant to be there. Meanwhile Finnick kept a hand wrapped firmly around Hebe's arm to stop her from interfering.

She'd wanted to go and see her afterwards, but she wasn't allowed. The mentors had to go straight to the train after all.

Her mother was there, waiting for her, tears streaking down her face. Her mother had held out her belongings for her to take, whilst she reassured her that she would bring Annie home safe. She promised her that they'd both come back, and that she'd do anything to make sure of it.

Then they were on the train, and Hebe was forced to wait for her oldest friend to join them, and pray that it wouldn't be a one-way journey.

Finnick looked just as nervous as his fellow mentor, his leg bouncing up and down with nerves.

"We're gonna bring her back." He said suddenly, sitting up straighter and staring determinedly at Hebe.

"You can't guarantee that." She said, breaking eye contact to stare at the plush carpets instead.

"No, I can't. But I believe she can win, and I know you believe that too."

Hebe thought about arguing with him, but she realised he was right. She had always believed Annie could be a victor, at points more than she believed it about herself. And she had to choose to trust in that feeling. She wouldn't get anywhere if she didn't at least believe.

"Finnick, look, about-"

"No," He cut her off, looking at her with that same intensity he had moments ago. "Now's not the time. We can sort out whatever's been going on later, but right now, we need to focus on helping Annie."

Once again, he was right.

"Ok."

At that moment the doors to the dining car slid open, and in came Ambrosia, Annie, and Victor. Hebe struggled to restrain herself from running over to her friend and hugging her tight, or from shoving her off the train completely.

For a moment she considered that, opening the train door as left 4, and pushing her out when it was at a slower speed. By the time anyone realised, they'd be well on their way to the Capitol without Annie. Although, when they did realise, Annie would probably be in front of the firing squad. Or they'd just send her on a later train.

She was broken out of her thoughts by Ambrosia's shrieking voice.

"Oh, what are you two doing here!" She exclaimed.

"Well, uh-"

"We wanted to at least greet our tributes before dinner." Finnick said quickly, standing up from the sofa, Hebe following suit.