Meetings

For the next month or so, Hebe felt like she was getting better. She had resumed her morning runs, and while before the games they were something she did to train herself, now they were simply for her own enjoyment. Similarly, she went back to work, selling groceries down at the market on weekdays.

Annie still came round often and they would sit and talk. Hebe would often drop by and visit the other victors, although would always make sure to skip over Cordelia's house. As would be expected, she saw a lot of Finnick too, and today would be the day he would make good on his promise to take her sailing.

She was walking up the gravel path towards Victor's village, returning from her morning shift at the market, vegetables in tow. That was when she spotted an airship. Landed directly outside the village. It's smooth metallic surface glimmering in the morning sun. It's appearance was like that of a stingray, splayed out against the sand.

And although she knew the reaction was irrational, as soon as she saw it, she began to run. Clutching her bag in her right fist, her legs slammed against the concrete and her arms pumped by her sides.

Hebe was back in the tunnels, the croons and cries of rabid dogs followed her as she moved. The fresh salty air of 4 felt muggy and close, the smell that filled her nostrils was that of dirt, festering and fermented.

She wasn't brought back to reality until she had burst through the doors of her home, red-faced and panting erratically.

The two people in the hallway stopped their conversation and stared at her when they heard the door loudly slam.

"Are you quite alright Miss Cross? You seem rather out of breath?" A low voice slithered its way into Hebe's ears, cold and slimy. She blinked, realising who was speaking to her. President Snow.

Hebe regained her composure slightly, replacing her expression of confusion with the carefully constructed Capitol mask.

"My apologies for the sudden intrusion sir, I was on a run and picked up some groceries for my mother. It appears I may have overdone it slightly."

She smiled, her expression confident, while she panicked internally. She strode over towards her mother and handed her the bag of vegetables. Then she turned back towards the president.

"I presume, you're here for business?" She said.

"That would be correct. Shall we talk in the study?"

"Yes, although I'm going to have to quickly grab a glass of water." Hebe grimaced in a way that made her look as apologetic as possible.

Snow nodded, assuring her that was alright, nodded to Juno, and walked towards the empty study at the end of the hall.

As soon as he shut the door, Hebe darted towards the kitchen, rushing to the sink and turning on the tap, not bothering to get a glass and instead just tilting her head to the side and letting the cool water drip into her mouth.

Juno was quick to follow.

"Hebe, what's going on?" She whispered, standing close enough so that her daughter could hear her.

"I don't know mum. We'll talk later. But for now, I have to go." Hebe replied shortly, wiping the excess water from her chin and forcing down the bile rising in her throat.

And then she brushed past her, striding out of the kitchen and into the now empty hall. Almost as if a show of confidence was enough to quell the fear stirring within.

So she opened the door to the study, and was met with the sight of President Snow. His usual sickly white rose pinned to the lapel of his green velvet jacket, a matching cravat fastened around his saggy neck, wisps of white hair sprouting from his chin and scalp.