Aftermath

quick warning for forced prostitution, whilst its not explicitly described there are hints towards it, so if you're sensitive to that kind of thing please read with caution!

The first thing Hebe did when she got back home was check on her mother. As soon as that train pulled into the station, she grabbed her violin, ignoring her bags entirely, and ran all the way back to Victors village.

It was strangely reminiscent of before the games, when she used to train by doing laps around the district. But, whilst her pace used to be calm and rhythmic, now her footsteps along the path were almost frantic as she sprinted towards her goal.

It was much more similar to how she had been that day Snow came to visit her and she watched that smooth metal ship land outside her house. It was that event that had led her to be this paranoid, convinced that she would see her house in victors village burnt to ashes, or her mother would be shot and left on the doorstep.

But, like many things after the games, this wasn't real. Instead as she passed through the wrought iron gates, the community was peaceful, none of them aware of her fear as she burst through the unlocked door to her house.

She placed her violin gently on the floor, and called out to her mother, announcing her presence. And, luckily, Juno responded.

The small woman came into view, her arms outstretched to welcome back her daughter, who returned the embrace gladly. She ran at her mother with such force she nearly bowled her over, clutching onto her as if she would disappear if she let go.

Thankfully, the older woman didn't question her sudden clinginess, instead choosing to be happy her daughter was home at last.

Hebe didn't feel the need to explain her behaviour, and she didn't choose to tell her mother about what happened in the Capitol either. She hadn't even told her what Snow had told her when he came to visit. She didn't want to put any more pressure on her than what was necessary. That was the whole reason for going into the games; to relieve her mum of all that stress.

Besides, Juno was a smart woman. She could work out most of it from overheard conversations between her daughter and Finnick, or small clues that Hebe accidentally dropped now and again.

Once Hebe was finished clutching onto her mother, another thought shot through her head. Annie. That was who Snow had directly threatened when he spoke to her, she was at the most risk.

She immediately asked Juno where Annie was, when was the last time she had seen her, and upon her answer she sprinted out of the house without a second thought.

She ran all the way to the girl's home in the richest part of four (barring Victors village). She knocked frantically on the door, and her father practically rolled his eyes when he opened up.

He'd never been a fan of Hebe. Never mind the fact that Hebe and Juno had practically raised the girl when he refused to. Although, he'd never really been a fan of their oldest daughter, so she didn't take all that much offence.

But, thankfully he didn't snap at her to come back later today, instead he called upstairs, rather harshly, for Annie to come down.

Hebe waited in suspense for a few moments for the girl to descend the stairs. Every second that she didn't appear was like torture. She could imagine it, just like she'd imagined her mother. Peacekeepers had stormed the house when her father wasn't home, backing her into her room and shooting her in the skull, leaving her to die there, blood blossoming onto those clean white sheets...