Rose Garden

Hebe re-entered the backstage area, Luca cheering along with the crowd, clapping for her performance.

"Good luck, you'll be great." She smiled and he returned it nervously. Then she heard Caesar's booming voice announcing him.

"Now we have our male tribute from District 4, Luca Merritt!"

"Kick ass."

Hebe walked back to where the other tributes who had already been interviewed were standing to watch the screens. She walked over and stood on her own, ignoring the scathing glares of the careers. Instead she focused on the screen.

"So Luca, tell me, what is the thing you miss most about home?"

"Hmm, uhhh, probably having arm hair." Luca laughed, Caesar joining him.

"Really! Arm hair huh?"

"I feel naked without it Caesar! Like one of those hairless cats!"

"Tell me more about home, Luca. What's it like there, who do you have waiting for you?"

Hebe stiffened, remembering Finnick's expression at her mention of family. She didn't know why he had had such a reaction, but figured there must be a reason. She prayed Luca followed their mentors' advice and kept it vague.

"Well I love the sea, me and my parents go sailing all the time. And I have loads of friends at school that I go to the beach with."

"And what of what Hebe said in her interview? About her bringing you home?"

"Me and Hebe are a team, you know? I'm glad she's the one I'm in the games with. And she's right, it's gonna be one of us two coming out as the victor." Luca gave the crowd a sad yet determined look. Hebe could imagine the Capitol people wiping away tears at his expression.

Caesar let out a fake sniffle, "Isn't that just so sweet folks? And you do have a point, after all you did achieve such an incredible score in individual training. And I have information that it's the highest score someone of your age has ever achieved! How do you feel about that?"

"You're not trying to trick me into talking about the assessment, are you Caesar?" Luca asked, narrowing his eyes in suspicion.

The crowd laughed loudly, Luca joining them, shaking his head at Caesar's offended expression.

"I'm just joking with you Caesar! I'm surprised that I did so well, but then again I have such great mentors, so how could I not do well?"

"Yes of course, how is our Finnick as a mentor?" At the mention of his name there was an enormous mass of screams from the crowd, shrieks and cries. Hebe couldn't help but roll her eyes, envisaging Finnick's smug grin at all the attention.

"He's definitely got some interesting strategies Caesar." The alarm cut him off.

"Well I look forward to seeing them in practice in the games. Luca Merritt!" The crowd clapped and cheered and Luca exited, smiling and waving joyfully.

Hebe made her way towards where she knew he would leave the stage.

"Good fucking job." She said, enveloping the younger boy in a warm hug, laughing and patting him on the head.

"I really wasn't expecting him to ask about Finnick." The boy murmured as the two walked to the back of the corridor, further away from the screens, but still in earshot.

"Me neither. I think you handled it well enough though. And we definitely worked the brother and sister angle."

Luca nodded, turning his eyes back to the screen.