The Reaping

The feeling in Hebe's body on the morning of the reaping was much different to it was a year earlier.

Before it had been anticipation, almost excitement. It was her fate, she had known that for so long, and it was like she was finally fulfilling her destiny, charging into it headlong.

But now it was fear. Fear of returning to the Capitol again. Fear that Annie wouldn't listen to her, fear that she wouldn't be able to save the tributes that went into that arena. Everything was different this time.

She didn't know how the reaping would go. She could end up with two twelve year old tributes, or two strong careers. She could end up coaching people she had known, people she had trained with. Last time there had been a certainty, a resolve that she could cling to to push her forward. But now? It was all up to fate, and she had next to no control.

Nonetheless, she hauled herself out of bed. She'd woken up later this time; there was no training to occupy herself with anymore. Hebe could barely be bothered to shower, but she forced herself to regardless.

Once she was out, she walked over to her open closet. It was packed with outfits that Estella sent from the Capitol, each one as hideous as the next.

At the far end of her closet was her reaping dress. Hebe reached out and brushed the linen fabric. She hadn't worn it since that day. And as much as she may want to, she couldn't wear it again. It wasn't up to Capitol standards by any means.

Eventually she settled on the least skimpy outfit she could find, which consisted of a long floral skirt and a tight fitting camisole top. She pulled her hair up into a tight ponytail, twisting the odd strand that framed her face. She didn't bother with makeup; she didn't really understand it, or how to use it.

The only jewellery she wore was her token, and Luca's. She clasped the chain around her neck, holding the pieces of metal and sighing, trying not to think about her own games. They were last year's news now.

Hebe descended the stairs, and was glad to see that her mother was up and about. She was worried she wouldn't be able to drag herself out of bed. The night before she'd expressed her fear to her daughter that when she woke up she would be stuck a year in the past, and would have to watch her daughter in the hunger games again.

Hebe couldn't say she didn't share the same nightmare.

"Good morning, mum." She smiled, grabbing a piece of toast and sitting across from her.

"Morning." Juno suddenly gasped, and Hebe was worried for a moment before she broke out in a bright grin, "Don't you look gorgeous!" The older woman even reached over to pinch her daughter's cheeks, continuing to remark on her appearance.

"Thanks. You're in a good mood?"

"Oh, don't sound so surprised! We're both here, Annie's not volunteering, the world's right once again!"

For a moment, Hebe was transported back in time by the conviction in her mothers voice, a certainty she hadn't heard in so long. It was strange, for some reason, when Hebe had been steadily falling apart, her mother had managed to finally put herself back together. Maybe it was because she finally had some kind of purpose, someone to take care of. That was what she had been so good at before her husband died, after all.

"Well, I suppose that's true. We're both here."

Juno nodded, taking a sip of her coffee, "Are you all packed?"

Hebe laughed, "I don't really have anything to pack. I'm bringing my violin though, I've got a couple of performances scheduled during the games."

"Huh. Should they really be making you play when you've got tributes to be mentoring? Surely that should be your top priority?"