XX - The 11th Legion

The town of Ravenna was a small affair; two or three rows of houses built around a market square. It was, however, the centre of a city of tents.

The small band of magi rode into camp just as the sun was setting. The column stopped where the tents started.

"Everyone! Dismount!" Claudius shouted and the weary students dropped from their horses.

Iatus got one foot stuck in its stirrup and fell on his side. Max helped him to his feet and he let out a deep sigh.

"The ground! I've missed you my friend!" Iatus moaned gratefully.

After their incident they had ridden at a forced march for two days to reach the camp, stopping every six hours or so for no more than an hour. The students and horses were exhausted and shaken to the bones.

"Start making camp for the night! You will find what you need in that tent there! Two to a tent!" Claudius shouted again and turned his horse towards the centre of the camp.

They collectively groaned and shuffled over to a large tent nestled in a group of smaller ones. Inside were metal poles and canvas and a pile of firewood.

"Really?" Max sighed next to Iatus in disbelief.

"No use complaining..."

They groaned as they picked up some poles and canvas and went to find a space.

Apparently it was harder than it looked and Max and Iatus struggled with it. When it fell down for the third time they threw down their tools and looked out at the rest of the students in desperation. None of the first years had accomplished the task and most of the second years were having problems. Except Amber, of course, who was skilfully directing a band of imps in putting up her tent.

"Why didn't we think of that?" Iatus asked.

"Because we're stupid?"

Iatus nodded and summoned Gopple and two other imps, Max summoned his mouse.

"Well, hi there Bossman! Been a while, and it doesn't look like the time's been good to you!" the annoying lizard said way too loudly for Iatus' liking.

"Shut up Gopple and just put up our tent."

"Righto Sir! You three! You heard the Boss, snap too it. Iggy, grab that pole, and... weird-hamster-thing-I've-never-met-before?... you drape the canvas!"

"You too Gopple!" Iatus snapped.

"What? I'm doing, I'm doing!"

Iatus sighed but he was too tired to argue.

Eventually, somehow, the imps got the tent up and Iatus and Max sat by their fire warming the same dried meat they had eaten for the last two days.

"So this is the road to war?" Max sighed.

"Sucks doesn't it?"

The two boys laughed despite themselves and they quickly fell asleep, too tired to even dismiss their imps.

The next morning they were woken by a horn so loud the tent shook.

"Uhhhh..." moaned Max.

"Uhhhh..." agreed Iatus.

The two boys crawled out of the tent to see men marching through the camp.

"Get up you lot!" Claudius shouted from atop his white horse, "We're forming up for the march, mount up!"

The students groaned but managed to get up on their horses again.

"Right! Normally each century of men would be assigned a single mage, but as you have not finished your training yet, you will be assigned in pairs. So partner up!"