XI - Practice Weapons

The next morning was combat training with the Legate. Iatus and Max got up before dawn and prepared themselves for the day ahead. They made their way up to the roof arena early and found most of the class there already, they all looked as nervous as he felt, the Legate was legendary for his harshness and everyone had heard the stories. Capitus arrived last and, annoyingly, he looked relaxed and at ease in the situation, strutting about like a king. The Legate stormed into the arena at precisely 7 o'clock. He was of medium height but he was almost as broad, with shoulders that each could seat a person on. He was barrel chested but had a little waist that made him look triangular. He wore a short sword and bronze armour over his red tunic.

"Right, line up, line up. Today is your first combat training lesson. In battle your first line of defence is always your demons and then your magic, but occasionally your enemy will engage you in hand to hand combat. You must therefore know how to defend yourself properly, like a true Roman," the Legate shouted harshly.

The students lined up in a single neat row and the Legate prowled up and down like a hunting dog. He beckoned towards a pair of servants and they hurried forwards with a crate that they struggled to lift. They set it down at the Legate's feet and opened it up. Inside were old and tarnished gladii, scuffed tower shields and some sets of bronze armour and helmets.

"Right, these are your most valuable asset in single combat and they will save your life, so suit up," the Legate bellowed.

Iatus raised his hand smartly and stood to attention.

"Sir?"

"What is it boy?"

"Are we using real swords in training because I don't see any training swords?"

The Legate laughed, a booming sound that resonated in the arena, "What are you planning on using in battle, you fool, you think you can fight barbarians with a stick? You must use what you will use then."

Iatus thought the logic through and remained silent, still thinking that it was slightly extreme.

"Well, grab one then, no-one will do it for you, in these classes, as in war, you must stand alone."

There was a pause and then everyone rushed at once to obey the order, bashing heads and stepping on feet as they went, Aelith took this opportunity to make himself scarce and flew over to the stands, eyeing the Legate's hawk cautiously. Eventually they managed to outfit themselves and lined up again. The Legate paced up and down the line, with a disapproving look.

"You lot might just be the most pathetic looking year we have ever had, you couldn't frighten away a baby imp. You lot will have to shape up and shape up quick if you are to survive. Now, form two lines facing each other."

The group formed up quickly, Iatus stayed next to Max and looked at the Legate warily. He did not look at who he was standing opposite.

"Well, spread out then you idiots, you can't swing you swords like that. You will now spar with the person opposite so I can evaluate you. This may just be a game but remember that the other person's sword is sharp and there is no punishment for maiming or serious injuries. However you may not kill your opponent. Is that understood?"

There was a general murmur of assent and Iatus looked across at who he was sparring and his eyes widened in shock. There, smiling back at him was Capitus, swinging his sword easily about. Before he could process the sudden appearance of the boy, the Legate called out "Engage!" and Capitus advanced on him with his shield raised.

Iatus looked about for any sign of help but Capitus closed the distance between them fast. Iatus barely had time to raise his rectangular shield before Capitus' sword was swinging for his head.