XIII - How to Make Friends and Assassinate People

The weeks wore on and Iatus found he was getting used to the routines of the academy. He was progressing well in his demonology classes, the extra time he spent in the library during the practical lessons meant he had the time to read all of the section marked 'General Demonology', he had even started to look into the sections on shedu.

Iatus also took to wandering about the academy grounds. There was a wood that surrounded three sides of the wall that students were allowed to wander in. No-one had attacked the academy in years so the forest had been allowed to grow right up to the foot of the wall. It was quiet and peaceful and Aelith could roam the skies and stretch out his wings a little.

The Legate's lessons were getting tougher and tougher. Every few lessons he would pair up the class to 'Evaluate their progress in actual combat', which meant that Capitus got his chance to whack Iatus about a bit. The beatings got worse as Capitus got more frustrated that he hadn't managed to summon a jinni yet. Nerres informed him that Capitus had the strength of mana to hold a demon that size so he must just be too stupid to remember the complex summons. It gladdened Iatus that the obnoxious brat was struggling but he wished he would hurry it up, if only to stop the beatings.

One lesson the legate pulled him up off the ground after a hefty slam of Capitus' shield.

"Claudius and Scipio tell me you are quite the summoner, is that right?" the Legate had bellowed in his face.

Iatus had no idea how he was supposed to respond, "Umm, I don't know sir."

"Well, I guess they must be lying to me then, because, from what I can gather, you are a pretentious little no-it-all."

The exchange was attracting some attention now.

"For your sake I hope they are right, because you wouldn't last a second in any other branch of the army," the Legate snarled. "Now get back up and try and do something competent for once in your pathetic little life!"

The Legate threw him back down to the floor and stormed away. The rest of the year stood in shock, apart from Capitus, who sniggered into his hand.

Iatus got back to his feet, completely embarrassed.

"Well, GET ON WITH IT then!" the Legate shouted and they scampered to obey.

That evening Iatus trudged back into his rooms, completely defeated. He was such a sorry sight that not even Aelith had the heart to crow.

"You know what, I think the Legate doesn't like you." Aelith mused.

"Wow, now I know why they call you Aelith the wise."

"I think he is simply reassigning some of his childhood anger onto you. Do you think that he was the Capitus of his year? All brawn and no brain."

"I neither know nor care, I just wish Capitus wouldn't beat me so badly."

"We could enchant your armour..." Aelith suggested.

"How do you think the Legate would take that when he found out?" Iatus said bitterly.

Aelith just shrugged, "It would be better if he just beat you in private instead of the regular public humiliations you are getting."

"Oh, thanks for that support," Iatus spat.

"No problem. I'm here to help," Aelith said, completely genuine.

The lesson he enjoyed most was those with Scipio. They had started to learn about classes of spirits beyond the ordinary. His lessons thrilled Iatus and Amber didn't seem so frosty when she was giving an answer and getting praise off the Prefect.