XXII - Thoughts on Loyalty

The days came and went uneventfully in their cushioned cell. It turned out that along the edges of the room were the strange symbols from their bindings, carved neatly into the bottom of the wooden walls. Iatus had tried to etch away at the symbols but they seemed to be enchanted to repair themselves and he eventually gave up, dramatically flopping to his bed.

Every morning Urien would come and talk to them. Just small talk, asking if they wanted anything, if they wanted to take a walk with him, updating them on where their friends were and what they were doing. The 11th legion was slowly making its way north under constant harassment from small rebel forces. Nothing changed in their situation until the sixth day when a large Gaul came into their room and dragged Iatus away.

"You two be split up now," the man declared as he marched Iatus out of the room.

"What? Why?" Iatus asked frantically.

"Where are you taking him?" Max shouted after them.

"Relax little Roman. He just going next room. You see him again. Unless he misbehave," the man chuckled sinisterly.

The man locked the door behind them and ushered Iatus forward.

"But you said I was just going next door!" Iatus exclaimed.

"You see Urien. Then next door."

Iatus scowled but did not complain. The man led him out of the house and back to the hall, gesturing for him to enter but not following him in.

Urien was sat at one of the tables with a plate of dried meat in front of him and a tankard of ale in his hand.

"Good morning my friend!" he said as Iatus approached, "Come drink with me!"

As he entered he Jalec came into view as well, perched on a stool, tucked away in a corner, running a whetstone purposefully along the edge of his sword.

Urien waved his hand and an air spirit served Iatus his own tankard of ale as he took a seat. Iatus took a sip and immediately regretted it.

Urien laughed as Iatus struggled to swallow the brown liquid and tilted his head back, downing his in one go.

"Not used to the local liquids are you? Oh well, this'll be an education for you! Another!"

The spirit returned with another tankard and Urien began to down that too.

"Tell me Iatus, why do you hold on to Rome? You've been here a week now and you show not even a slight wavering of spirit, what is it that makes them worth fighting for?"

Iatus frowned, the answer was that he didn't know. He was just a street boy, raised up through sheer luck. By rights he should have died in that little house when he tried to summon a demon. He should say that he wasn't loyal, that he would happily join their cause for his freedom. But then he thought of Max, and Ava, and Claudius, and Amber, and shockingly Capitus. He hated Capitus but somehow the thought of him being killed chilled him. And out of all the other back at the academy, half would probably sell him off piece by piece if they could, and the others would do it for free, but Iatus still felt a strange affection for them.

"I have friends there," he said finally.

Urien thought for a second, chewing on a piece of meat.

"True. Friendship is a strong bond. Like that shared with Max. He is a true Roman through and through, but you aren't. Where did they find you? Greece? Britain? Dacia maybe? Either way they won't miss you. Join us, you could be one of us in a way you could never be a Roman. "