THIRTY-EIGHT

DANIEL HARPER

DANIEL HARPER

I spent the whole day after Lucien came with the two of us cuddling in bed. He got to meet my family. The people that supported me my entire life. 

Lucien got out of the small bed we shared and stretched in the middle of my room. 

“Morning.” I said.

“Morning, my Danny. How was your sleep?” He asked.

“Amazing. Though, I did wake up in the middle of the night to someone fucking me.” I said. Lucien winked at me. He likes to have sex with me at random times. I let him, because it feels nice.

“I couldn’t help it. You were so tight. I needed to loosen you up.” He said. He crawled on the bed towards me, kissing me. 

Lucien’s eyes trailed over to my desk. On my desk was a framed photo of my parents. It was taken a few days after I was born. Both my mom and dad stood there, with bright smiling faces, holding a baby me.

“Do you miss them?” Lucien asked. 

“Yeah, I do. Sometimes I wonder how my life would be if they never died.” I said. I reached over and grabbed the picture frame.

My mother had her black hair. Just like me and my aunt, our hair is always messy. No matter what we put into it, it just never worked. And my mother’s hair was slightly messy in the picture. Then there was my father. He had light brown hair, and he was styled to what I remember as 1940’s actors. He himself had brown eyes and light brown skin. He was much taller than my mother. I got most of my traits from my mother, in terms of looks. As for attitude, I got my father’s. He was more introverted and my mother was extroverted.

At twelve, when they were on their way back from their date, they were hit by a drunk driver. They both died on impact. I was told it was a quick death. Though, that doesn’t make me feel better. Since my aunt was next of kin, I was given to her.

“If you could, would you want them back?” Lucien asked.

“I’ve wondered that for years. Maybe talk to them, yeah. Just once. Tell them about how I am. But I wouldn’t wish them back. Everything that has happened to me has led me to where I am today.” I said.

“You still have your aunt and uncle.” Lucien said. “Your family isn’t all gone. There are still people who love you.” Lucien said. He brought his hand to my face and wiped a loose tear.

“You’re right. I bet they must be happy at where I am. I went to NYU because that was my father’s dream school. But he couldn’t go because he didn’t have that much money. I think of this as following his legacy.” I said.

“I’m glad you went to NYU! It’s how I met you.” Lucien said, hugging me. “Best decision I ever made was going on a date with you.” He said.

“I love you, Lucien.” I kissed his cheek.