FIFTY

DANIEL HARPER-VITTORI

Lucien put me down, letting me stand on the green grass. He held my hand tightly and when I looked at him, I saw him crying as tears escaped from his eyes. Despite what some may think of Lucien when they first see him, I know that he's a good person deep down. 

“You two ready?” Sylvester, my father-in-law, said from behind us. He made his way through the crowd and held a box in his hand. 

“Ready!” Both Lucien and I said at the same time. Sylvester walked over to us with the box and opened it.

Inside the wooden box was a lock and key and a black Sharpie marker. I pulled out the Sharpie and Lucien pulled out the lock and key. The whole crowd stood by and watched us. I pulled off the cap of the sharpie as Lucien held out the flat side of the lock to me. 

Daniel 

I wrote. I then handed the sharpie to Lucien while he handed me the lock. I held it out to him as he wrote his name on the lock.

Lucien

His name was written under mine, with a ‘+’ in the middle. Lucien also wrote the date of our wedding on the back. Lucien then unlocked the lock using the key. He walked over to a fence that had similar locks on it. He clipped it on and made sure it was tightly secured.

“Ready?” Lucien asked. I leaned forward and kissed the key.

“Ready!” I replied. Lucien also kissed the key. 

We both looked over the sea. Lucien stepped back and brought his arms back, getting ready to launch the key into the sea. With a final look at me, Lucien launched the key as far as he could. We looked forward as the key flew through the air until it was far enough to when we couldn’t see it splash into the water. 

The crowd behind us cheered and clapped. I turned to my aunt and uncle as the two cheered and cried. Angie had her phone out and had been recording everything. 

The sun had nearly set by this point. 

“Everyone! There’s wine inside and food! The night isn’t over!” Lucien announced to the guests. Everyone began to walk away and return to the venue. 

It was just me and Lucien standing here, looking over the cliff. 

“Do you wish we had met earlier?” I asked Lucien.

“Sometimes I do. Because I wouldn’t have had to spend so much time alone. But I know that everything happens for a reason at the right time. And it was at the right moment that I met you. In the end, we can spend the rest of our lives together. It wouldn’t have mattered if we met a year or two earlier or a year or two later. In the end, I got a husband, and that’s all that matters.” Lucien said. 

“We have our whole lives to annoy each other. Love each other. But I’m not leaving you. I love you, Lucien.” I said.

“I love you too, Danny.” Lucien hugged me and kissed my head.