Three.

Lakyn

It was a dark morning  here in New York today, not literally, but in more of a metaphorical sense. 

The sun is shining down on us in mockery today. 

By the time the entire attack had finished, the sun was rising. I had fallen asleep on Ethan's shoulder on a park bench, and he told me I allegedly took a forty-five minute nap there, where over the duration of that he "listened to my sleep talk and laughed." 

I'll get him back later. 

After I woke up, the two of us decided to make an attempt at finding the rest of the group.  We walked a block down to where we saw some police cars with their lights going off, and thought maybe another body had been left further away from our apartment complex; the thought of who it could be made me shudder. At this point, there had been no word from either of my sisters, and that was all I could think about.

Besides Ethan. 

I know it's strange in these conditions, but honestly, I suspect his sister more than him... if I ever even suspected him in the first place. The way he stood up for me last night, blocking me from being attacked... I mean he took two stabbings for me. I think it's rather difficult to find another person who cares that much for me, besides my sisters. 

Fuck, my sisters. 

Sam is a tough girl, and so is Tara, but the fact that I wasn't with them to protect them worried me. I know Tara made an escape with Chad last night, and I saw both Mindy and Sam make it across the ladder, so that just left Anika, and I have a really bad feeling about the situation she was in. She was halfway across, but she had also practically been disemboweled and the ladder was being shaken relentlessly. 

"Hey!" I quickly grab the attention of the police officers parked up the street from the complex and the three men turn their heads in my direction, clearly disinterested already, "have you seen my sisters? Sam and Tara carpenter?" I ask hurriedly, waving my hands around frantically in their faces as an attempt to convey to them the importance of this situation. 

He just looked at me and shrugged, I could feel Ethan shift beside me and I turn to meet his eyes, giving him a look that conveyed my irritation with these men, he returned it. 

"Hello?" I huff, "I'm sorry if your job is an inconvenience to you, but my sisters and I were targeted by a slasher last night." 

The officer didn't verbally respond, but halfheartedly point to an ambulance that was tucked in the little area between the two towers of our apartment complex; I could see Chad and Mindy sitting inside it from here. Chad seemed untouched, but Mindy had a few bandages wrapped around her arm, thankfully nothing looked life threatening. 

"It's not fair, Chad!" I could hear Mindy wailing from down the block, and my mind immediately snapped back to that moment last night, a moment that was likely the last one Anika had ever experienced, judging upon Mindy's screams. 

"Fuck!" I shriek, grabbing onto Ethans solid shoulders and looking into his eyes, "Anika!" 

"Oh shit," he moves his hands from where they were resting on my waist, to putting one hand on the small of my back and rushing me towards the ambulance,  "lets go!" 

As we approach the ambulance, Chad looks at the both of us with saddened eyes. 

"E," he sighs, "two people died last night." 

"Who?" I ask, stepping in between them and cutting into the conversation; which could be seen as rude, but there is a killer on the loose who is targeting my sisters and I.