Eight.

Ethan

The evening was dreary as Sam sped the rest of the way home, Lakyn looked fearfully out the window, watching the raindrops roll down the glass; she would trace them with her fingertips until they reached the bottom, then start over again, finding another one to chase.

"How are you holding up?" I whisper into her ear, keeping my arms around her waist which kept her close to my body.

"I'm just a little worried." She frowns, still tracing the window with her fingers, following the rain drops, "I mean whoever that was sent Sam our location, that clearly indicates a threat... right?"

I tilt my head, pondering what the right response to her statement is, because I also interpreted it as a threat, but nothing has happened since then and we've been driving for about twenty minutes now. I also don't want to feed into Lakyn's anxiety, or make her any more worried than she already is about it, because she doesn't need the extreme stress when she is in the process of healing.

"Have they called back?" Tara can be heard mumbling in the front seat to Sam, who hums a response and continues being silent, focusing on her driving.

"Nothing else has happened." I turn my attention back to Lakyn, and rub my hand on her side, before moving both my hands to massage her lower back. She lets out a deep breath, relaxing into my touch which drove me crazy.

"Not yet," she mumbles, laying her head down on my shoulder. Ever since Sam sped off and she fell into the door, I pulled her onto my lap and she's been sitting like that facing away from me as I hold her small frame by the waist. Her upper back is against my chest now, as my hands work their magic on the tense muscles.

"Still want to watch a movie tonight?" I place a gently kiss to her neck, "might be a good distraction."

Lakyn looks to the dash of the car, checking the time before relaxing onto my shoulder again, "yeah it isn't too late at all; let's watch something happy though, please."

She giggles as my arms snake back around her waist, and she brings her little hands to rest on top of them, rubbing the bare skin softly. She traces her finger delicately up my forearm, then back down, causing goosebumps to erupt all over the skin her fingers graze; the things she does to me.

"Of course," I place another kiss to her temple, lingering by her ear, "anything for you, baby."

Luckily, there was an open spot in the parking lot of the complex, which is a rare occurrence sometimes due to the mass amount of people who populate this city. Samantha pulls into a parking spot hastily, getting our attention before unlocking the doors.

"Do not take your time getting in the apartment, you guys hear me?" She asks, pulling the key out of the ignition, "although I doubt it, someone could be waiting for us to get out of the car."

I feel Lakyn's hands begin to shake slightly out of anxiety, so I remove my arms from around her waist and place my hands there, gently lifting her off of my lap and into the seat next to me; I bring her hands into mine and squeeze, locking eyes with her.

"We're going to get inside right away, okay?" I smile, trying to calm her down, "I'll get out first, then you, and we run straight to that entrance."

She nods, squeezing my hands tighter before nodding at the car door. Samantha and Tara exit first, waiting outside of the car for me to get out. I push open the door, as I exit the vehicle I am instantly met with the city lights against the evening sky. I turn my head from side to side, the lot was well lit, and as far as I could tell, nobody was waiting for us.

"Come on Lay," I reach my hand into the car, and feel the warmth of her dainty one grabbing on, becoming fully engulfed by mine as I pull her out of the car, instantly snaking my right arm around her waist to help her walk.