001

TRANSFERRED
Quinn's Point of View
📍 Newark, New Jersey
🕰️ 4/11/23

"Who are we playing first round?" We just came off of a 6-2 win here at home against the Buffalo Sabres. I scored 3 of those six goals, earning myself a hat trick.

"Not in yet." Dawson Mercer, one of my best friends on the team, states in the locker room. We all just got in here, I know I'm going to need to get interviewed in a few minutes.

The reporters file into the locker room, spewing to different players to get their questions answered. The majority walk over to me.

"Quinn," I turn to the person who asked the question. My anxiety goes up slightly during these conferences. Who's wouldn't? A bunch of people around you, sticking microphones and phones in your face asking questions that sometimes are too intrusive.

"How did you feel about your three goals?" She asks. I'm assuming she wants me to start with my first one.

"I wouldn't have been able to get them without the rest of the team. Um, John knocking the puck away and I was just in the right spot at the right time to get the breakaway goal." I say.

"In regard to my second one, it really should've been Jack's goal, but you know.. he's really a team player, and let me have that one." I say. I quickly divert my attention to the man I was just talking about.

"I-"

"And the third one?"

"I was getting there." I joke. "Just give me a minute." That makes the interviewers around me laugh a little. "Our chemistry is off today." I say.

"... So that third goal, was just right place at the right time. I intercepted the pass in the neutral zone, because I saw it coming. Then it was just me and open ice."

They asked me a few more questions about how I feel the team played, and I obviously had no bad comments.

"I love this team, I mean.. I wouldn't rather be anywhere else than here in Jersey with this team." I say.

After my conference is over, and the rest of the reporters leave the locker room, we finally get to hear who we play the first round of the playoffs.

"The fucking Rangers." Jesper says. It's not an unknown fact that we all hate the Rangers. Yes, most of us, especially the younger ones, grew up idolizing Patrick Kane, but we aren't really fond of the team across the Hudson river.

"Fuck my life." I finish putting on my shoes. I hear my phone go off, so I grab it and open the notification.

Why the hell is the NHL commissioner emailing me?

From: Gary Bettman & The NHL
To: Quinn Brooks

Hello, you may be wondering what this email may be regarding. The NHL has recently caught wind of your personal relations with Jack Hughes. This has been reviewed and has been proven to be true. Favoring him for passes and vise versa will not be tolerated in this league, with that being said, you will be transferred to another team.

We have informed Lindy Ruff and the rest of the staff on the Devils. You will he transferred to the New York Rangers, that seems to be the best option for you.