004

Walking through the doors of the Bellingham household, I instantly felt at home. I'd strolled into this house on many occasions throughout the course of my life, always greeted pleasantly by three of the four inhabitants and welcomed with open arms. Denise was the kindest woman I knew, and Mark was incredibly thoughtful, always making me laugh with the plethora of dad jokes he had up his sleeve. Jobe had inherited his mum's sense of humour and her willingness to make everyone feel welcome regardless of their background and had followed his Dad in the way he was so protective of the ones he loved.

The walls were lined with pictures from Jude and Jobe's childhood, their wide grins showcasing the happiness their parents had managed to provide for them in the early years of their lives. I focused on one photo in particular, laughing at the image of me with the Bellingham brothers as we all posed with ice cream smeared around our mouths, completely oblivious and carefree. I grinned at the memory — things had been so much simpler back then.

"Jude, our guests are here!" Denise called up the stairs. I heard a door open and close, and then Jude's silhouette appeared at the top of the stairs. My Mum and Denise carried on into the kitchen, but my gaze lingered on the eldest Bellingham brother as he inhaled a deep breath, seemingly gaining his composure and preparing himself for the hard task of pretending to like me. When his eyes met mine, I quickly looked away and hurried into the kitchen, embarrassed to have been caught staring.

"What can I get you to drink, Hannah?" Denise asked me.

"I'll have a glass of orange juice, please," I replied.

Denise smiled. "You know we only buy this for you?" She explained as she pulled a carton of orange juice from the fridge. "Everyone in this house prefers apple juice."

"A wise choice," Mum grinned, "I find orange juice to be quite sour."

Not as sour as you, I added to myself. I loved my mum to death, but she had her irritating moments, as did all parents.

"Hey Maria," Jude greeted my mum as he stepped into the kitchen. He hugged her, meanwhile I was met with an obviously fake smile. Fortunately for me and Jude, our mothers weren't tuned in to the frostiness between us. "Hi," Jude said to me.

"I swear you grow taller every time I see you," Mum admonished with a shake of her head. "It only feels like yesterday that you were still in nappies and giving your parents sleepless nights."

"He still does give me sleepless nights," Denise chuckled.

Jude narrowed his eyes. "What's that supposed to mean?" He asked his mother.

"Nothing, dear."

"How are things with you, Jude?" Mum asked.

"Good," he answered with a smile that was more genuine this time around. "Dortmund have had a very strong start to the season and the new players have settled in really well. I don't want to speak too soon, but I'm feeling positive that we'll get to lift some silverware this year."

"That's great to hear," Mum smiled. She didn't know much about football but always tried her best to understand since it was such a big deal to the whole Bellingham family. "Hayley and Paul were on about going to see a Dortmund match sometime this year."

"That would be great. It's always nice to have the extra support."

"Hannah and I would come too, of course. I've bought us all matching Bellingham shirts."

Jude turned and smirked at me, obviously revelling in the thought of me sporting a shirt with his name and number on. He knew how much I detested even the thought of it.

"Although Hannah here would much rather wear a Reyna shirt," Mum added.

"As much as I love Jude," I said (obviously lying), "Gio is my favourite player."