2. heartbreak.

WORDS; 1,095.
TO; Myself.

"Marvellous

"Marvellous... Follow me, love."  Wilbur's gaze was fixated on me when we entered his base, which he hid behind a thin layer of stone that appeared natural.  Pogtopia, he calls it.  "It's mine and Tommy's new home away from home!  It isn't much, but we're working on it."

I could tell from this that he's different.  He's changed by a lot since we last connected, for the better.  Wilbur comes off as more of a passionate man than the reckless asshole of a teenager he was all that time ago.  "You okay?"  Wilbur asked, studying my face intently.  Not with his usual intense stare.  He's concerned.  I've never felt so drawn to him like this, I had to shake my head to bring myself back to the scene.  "...Yeah.  Thank you for letting me in."

This observation is why my next action is going to hurt the most.  "Now!"

"What — ?!"  He cried out as he backed away to the spiral staircase behind him.  My father and whatever soldier he had beside him broke in with a pickaxe.  I could see the betrayal on Wilbur's face;  the heart break.

Yet, he didn't try to run.  He didn't try to fight.  He accepted it, pulled away at the hand of a soldier who kept as silent as he did.  "Tommy should be around here somewhere."  I told my father as I stepped past him, following behind him.  Just like he asked.  I could feel how he was looking at me without a single, guilty glimpse over at him.  The soldier shoved him to the ground of the podium, wrapping a pair of cuffs around his hands as he whimpered.

He was stuck on his knees, with his hands behind his back.  I stood at the podium with a false pride as I heard Tommy, Wilbur's younger friend, being hauled over to the podium.  Tommy has an seemingly unending fire in him, something that helped him to hold an annoying demeanour, even when he was brought to enemy land.  "Didn't think this would be the way we found these brats..."  Jschlatt's voice was shrill as he struggled not to let out manic laughter at the sight of the Pogtopians so pathetic, so below him.

He cackled.  A laughter you'd only hear in fiction, something that echoed through the dismantled walls of Manburg.  I was immensely disturbed by this outburst in him, though it isn't uncommon of dad.

A small crowd gathered below the podium without anyone ordering them to;  just the sound of my dad had attracted their curiosity.  "My citizens!"  He said through a laugh, holding the microphone a little too close to his mouth.  "You shall now watch the execution of a stupid pervert —"  Jschlatt gestured to Wilbur, the crowd was already gasping at this information.  "And his little brother."  Then to Tommy. "Dad..." I muttered out as I raised a hand, he didn't hear and went on with a prideful speech to build anticipation and horror.

I put a hand on Wilbur's shoulder. "Dad." I say more firmly, gaining the attention of both men. "...Wouldn't it be more fun to keep them around?" I suggest, to which he crosses his arms. "Go on."

"Like... Pets? You could humiliate them, or whatever..." I trail off as I struggle to keep up with the idea when what I want is to take back what I've done, though Schlatt was fully onboard with this and even announced it to all of the crowd, how he wants Wilbur and Tommy to henceforth be dehumanised or ignored by his citizens. "Sorry." I mutter to Wilbur without looking down at him.

By the end of the night, Wilbur and Tommy were left with their current lives intact.  But they were thrown into jail cells for the night while my father and his vice president figured out what to do with them now.

I slept after tossing side to side for a while, and in the morning I prepared four breakfast meals.  "Two for our prisoners."  I told my dad as I bagged up my own and carried three meals away to where we had left Wilbur and Tommy, leaving my father with his own plate.  Tommy's eyes lit up when he saw the food;  egg, bacon and toast.  It's a common meal to me, but I suppose these two haven't been eating well since they were exiled.

I gladly passed a plate to each of them and sat back to eat with them, although I was on the other side of the bars.  Wilbur still wasn't talking to me, nor talking to Tommy either.

Once I had finished with my food, and finished listening to Tommy ramble on, I stood up to open the cell door and beckon Wilbur toward me.  "You wait here, Tommy."  Tommy got agitated when the door was shut in his face.  "You can't leave me here!  Hey!!"

The silence was painful. But this way, I could focus on the scenery. The gorgeous nature that somehow thrived with a drunken president who has no care for it. "...(Y/N)?"  Wilbur peeped as his footsteps came to a halt.  "Wilbur?"  I replied, turning to face him.  "When I kissed you a few days ago...  Did that mean anything to you?"  His voice became brittle as he stared down at me, usually our height difference feels a bit intimidating.  But now, he just seems lonely and sad.  "Wilbur, we need to —"

"No.  Please, tell me.  It's important to me."

"Of course it did, Wilbur.  Now let's go already."  I turned away and started heading to the Community House, where Quackity and my dad had arranged to meet up.  I could just tell that Wilbur had some sort of contentment in him now, some sense of security.  He linked his pinky finger with mine as we walked over the oak wood bridge together, the other two hadn't arrived yet and we ran into Dream.

"Hey!"  I greeted politely, trying to stick my head down and avoid anything more than small talk with this guy.  He just gives me a bad vibe.  "What's he doing here?  Wasn't he supposed to be locked up?"

"I want him here for a meeting.  Schlatt and Quackity should be here soon, Tommy is staying in his cell for now."  He nodded.  "I'll make sure of that, ma'am."  And he headed out in the direction of Tommy after giving me a kiss on the knuckles.  When my dad and Quackity walked in, they both gasped at the sight of Wilbur...

FROM; Myself.