Chapter Three - Full Speed Ahead

Hazel never thought that, what she feared the most, would slowly make her life better again. The year with Professor Fig started out turbulent, but the more time passed, the better it got. Yes, because of her childhood flashbacks, she was having a hard time and that wasn't going to change, yet magic was the best thing that had happened to her so far. It could only get better...right?

"Protego!" she shouted, waving the Secondhand-Wand, as she practiced dueling with Fig. Her skill with the wand was extraordinary for someone, who had never really been consciously involved with the magical world, Fig often emphasized. Still, she had little confidence in her Skills.
After a long duel, they put down their wands for the day, breathing heavily. "Okay, that's enough for today. Well done" Smiled the old wizard, who was now a good friend to Hazel. Tired, Hazel wiped a strand of Hair from her forehead, which had gotten caught there, and smiled back. As always, after a hard day, they had a cup of tea before Hazel went home.

The year was hard. From morning till night she studied. From astronomy to history of magic, from defense against the Dark Arts to Charms and potions. And at the end of each day, they would duel to hone their practical skills in these unsafe times, as Fig said, because something was brewing in the magical world. "Why do the goblins need such a rebellion? Aren't they being treated fairly?" she asked as she brought her teacup to her mouth and took a sip. Fig shook his head and screwed up his face. "Not really. Many witches and wizards see them as... inferior creatures" Fig replied and Hazel let out a disdainful sound. "No wonder they rebel. But in something what should Right and Fair, there should be a balance. No one has to die" she said as she skimmed the article in the Daily Prophet that Fig had handed her. It mentioned several people who had died in a goblin attack, including children. Shaking her head, she put the article aside. "Well, let's get to our journey. We have to leave in the morning, your things are packed I suppose?" asked Professor Fig. Hazel nodded nervously. "I have to stow the books right away but otherwise everything is ready" she replied. Fig nodded with satisfaction. "A good friend of mine, he works at the Ministry, wrote me an owl that he needed to talk to me urgently. I have therefore ordered him to our departure point. He will accompany us if you don't mind" he informed her, before he put down his empty cup. "Oh, no I don't mind professor. I'm sure he has an interesting tale or two to tell" she said, then she stood up. "If there's nothing else, I'd be on my way home. It's getting dark already" she said. Fig stood up as well and nodded. He led her to the door and closed it behind her....

Early in the morning, dawn was just breaking, her owl let out a screeching cry to wake her up. "I'm already awake, Lilly," Hazel grumbled, flipping back the covers. After a moment of being awake, the nervousness returned and with renewed energy she almost jumped out of bed, nearly tripping over her own feet as she began to get ready.For the trip she had nothing special on, a simple travel outfit which consists of a plaid skirt, a white blouse, a vest and a matching blazer and shoes. Of course, she also wore stockings. Her reddish blonde hair she wore half open, a part held back with a silver snake hair clip, which was the only thing she still possessed from her biological family. Although she hated her birth family, she liked the clip very much.
Her adoptive parents were already downstairs at the front door, her belongings having just been sent to their place of departure, she realized, for Professor Fig was standing in the hallway casting spells and one suitcase after another disappeared, as well as her owl and her little companion who was also sitting in the owl cage nibbling on a carrot. Worried, she furrowed her brows, thinking that the feeling was probably not too good being conjured away. "Don't worry. The rabbit is fine" Smiled Professor Fig in greeting as he noticed her worried expression. Hazel went down the last steps and hugged her parents, but couldn't hide the pure nervousness. "I'm sure everything will be fine, Hazel. Just be brave" her mother smiled at her and stroked a strand of hair from her face. "Just behave and be yourself. And if you have another panic attack, try to take a deep breath. It's rarely as bad as things feel sometimes, honey." Hazel nodded, swallowing, took a deep breath and put on a smile. Hazel was trying hard not to be so apathetic about many things anymore, after all, she was feeling better. However, it was not easy for a person to give up long-held patterns and protective mechanisms. Therefore, she often seemed a bit unpredictable.