Chapter Nineteen - Scrope

"We definitely need to go there more often! The tea was lovely!" Hazel chirped as the three were on their way to the castle's wildlife keeper. The Puffskien was asleep in her arms and hadn't left the Three once, even though he was free to do so all the time. He had even stolen some of her tea with his long tongue and snatched a cookie from her. Ominis' heart melted when he realized how affectionate she was with the little creature in her arms. She would be a great mother, it went through his head and he blushed slightly.

"Gladly," he laughed a little sheepishly when they finally reached their destination. Noreen knocked on the small hut that was the wildlife keeper's work and living area. There was a thump, something whistled inside before a raspy, feminine voice growled, "Just a moment."

A moment later, a black-haired witch with scratches and small scars on her face opened the door. "Noreen? And..." the witch murmured in surprise and she closed the door behind her.

"Um... Professor Howin I presume?" Hazel asked, smiling unsurely. She nodded. "Ehm, I'm Hazel Black, hello," Hazel said kindly and then got right to the point and Noreen had to giggle.

"I ran into this Puffskien when we went to Hogsmeade. He didn't want to leave us, so I thought maybe we could try to incorporate him into your group of Puffskiens? He was all alone out there..." she said, lovingly petting the little guy in her arms. Howin raised an eyebrow. "He didnt want to leave?" she asked skeptically. Usually you had to catch them and then convince them to like you, as with any creature.

Noreen nodded. "The little one just jumped into her arms in the middle of the path. He was the only one we could see for far. You can believe her, I was there. She has a talent for animals" Noreen said to her colleague. Now Professor Howin seemed interested.

"A Talent for animal things? You haven't been in my class the last few years, so I'm assuming you're this new fifth year I've been hearing so much about since I've been back?" she asked, coming down the small flight of stairs to join them. Hazel nodded.

"I hope they only say good things about me. I know some can't stand me because I'm a Black" she said smiling. "Well, only positive things from the faculty" she replied, now smiling and looking surprised at the Puffskien in her arms as he snored loudly.

Hazel laughed softly and gently woke the little one. "Hey little one, wake up," Hazel purred to the creature. It made soft whistling sounds, some lower and some higher. They sounded soothing. Hazel's smile widened and she returned soft soothing sounds as she stroked the little one to wake it up. "Fascinating," Professor Howin murmured, her eyes wide.

Howin had heard that the girl had been raised by muggles for 10 years. That she was completely new to the wizarding world. She had never met a student who was so intuitive with animal beings and maintained the right behaviors right off the bat. Or that an animal being reacted so well to a stranger.

Ominis laughed softly and Hazel raised her eyes to him, saw that he was looking in Howin's direction with a warm smile and she blushed as he spoke. "Hazel is a natural. We were exploring the area around Hogwarts in her first few weeks and found a herd of moon calves to the west. We are friends with them now!" he laughed affectionately and put his arm around Hazel's waist.