First Night

Everyone was shivering down to their bones when they stepped inside the grand castle and were immediately bombarded by water balloons, Maggie could see Ron further along complaining as one hit it's mark, soaking Ron's head. Gwen tried desperately to dodge the one aimed at her head as she jumped sideways into Neville, who blushed furiously.

Minor chaos broke out as people pushed and screamed in an effort to get out of Peeves', a deviant ghost of Hogwarts, line of fire, when an angry voice came booming down the corridor,

"PEEVES!" Professor Mcgonagall rushed into view, make a few startled students jump, "Peeves! Get down here at ONCE!"

As she scrambled forwards she appeared to slip on the wet floor and grabbed Hermione's neck for support, "Ouch- sorry, Miss Granger-"

"That's all right, Professor!" Hermione gasped, and Maggie couldn't help at laugh slightly at her apologetic tone as if she was not the one whom had been wronged.

After Professor Mcgonagall had finally chased Peeves away, they began filling into the great hall, laughter and grumbles of protest filled the room. Maggie separated from Ivy (who slowly stalked over to the Slytherin table and to Maggie's surprise sat with Malfoy and his usual gang of cronies), Ginny and Gwen (who joined their other friends at the Gryffindor table) and made her way over the the Ravenclaw table with luna.

Maggie spotted her dorm mates, Cho Chang and Marietta Edgecombe, who she was friendly with and Luna and Maggie joined them at the table. As they began mindless chatter whilst everyone settled down, she could see from across the hall her younger brother, Collin, talking extremely fast and with an ecstatic look on his face. She had to smile as Harry tried to be enthusiastic with him and threw the younger boy a thumbs up before catching Maggie's eye, who smiled gratefully at him before turning her attention back to her conversation.

Maggie found that after her own, she wasn't anywhere near as found of the sorting and was more than ready for dinner as her stomach rumbled. She was vaguely aware of the sorting hats song and the names of first years called out as she clapped when a little one joined the Ravenclaw table, but her focus snapped back when she heard Professor Mcgonagall read out,

"Creevey, Dennis." She saw her youngest brother run with extra enthusiasm up to the stall and he grinned wildly at Maggie as she noticed her was draped in what appeared to be Hagrid's Moleskin coat and his hair was dripping wet.

The hat sat on Dennis' head for no more than a second before it called out, "GRYFFINDOR." and the red table burst into applause as Dennis ran down the isl between Ravenclaw and Gryffindor, stopping to tell his sister,

"Did you see me? Did you see me! I fell in the lake! It was spectacular!" As Maggie laughed and ruffled his hair before he ran to join their brother.

After the last names where called Professor Dumbledore got to his feet, smiling and Maggie had never been more grateful at his few choice of words, "I have only two words to say to you. Tuck in."

Lavishing plates of food filled the long tables and the students did just as they had been told. As Dumbeldore rose to his feet again, the buzz of chatter ceased almost at once, "So! Now that was are all fed and watered" Maggie swore she could her Hermione Making a 'Humph' noise from her table, "I must once more ask for your attention, while I give out a few notices."

He went on to add to the ever growing list of items the caretaker, Filch, had banned, half of which Maggie was certain was courtesy of the twins, "As ever, I would like to remind you that the Forest in the ground is out-of-bounds to all students, as is the village of Hogsmeade too all bellow third year. It is also my painful duty to inform you that the inter-house Quidditch Cup will not take place this year."

The hall was silent and Maggie was opening and closing her mouth like a fish in disbelief and exchanged a look with Cho, Keeper to Seeker as Dumbeldore went on, "This is due to an event that will be starting in October, and continuing throughout the school year, taking up much of the teachers' time and energy - but I am sure you will all enjoy it immensely. I have great pleasure in announcing that this year at Hogwarts-"

He was cut off by a deafening rumble of thunder and the doors to the Great Hall banging open. A man stood in the doorway, leaning upon a long staff, shrouded in a black travelling cloak. Every head turned to look at the newcomer as he lowered his hood and began to walk up towards the teachers table, a dull clunk echoed in his wake.

Much of his face seemed to have been replaced with wood and one of his eyes was as normal as Maggie supposed is had been on the day of his birth, but the other was large, round as a coin and a vivid, electric blue. The unnatural eye was moving ceaselessly, rolling up and down, and side to side.

When the stranger reached Dumbeldore, they exchanged a quick greeting and the man walked back to take his seat at the teachers table as Marietta whispered to the other three girls, "That's Alastor Moody, he was a Aroura. Worked at the Ministry, my mother told me about him."

"Aroura?" Maggie asked, she still hadn't learnt most of the wizarding worlds ways. Luna answered before Marietta could, making the latter scowl, "Dark wizard catcher, though now, dad says that's just their cover for the real work the Ministry has them doing." And before Maggie can question, the headmaster continues talking.

"May I introduce our new Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher, Professor Moody." Nobody clapped, the students and teachers alike sat, transfixed by Moody's bizarre appearance, though he didn't seem to mind the cold greeting.

"As I was saying, we are to have the honour of hosting a very exciting event over the coming months, an event which had not been held for over a century. It is my great pleasure to inform you that the Triwizard Tournament will be taking place at Hogwarts this year." He finished, smiling over at his students.

***

"People have died, though!" Said Hermione as she, Harry, Ron, Fred and George caught up with Maggie, dawdling outside the doors.

"Yeah, but that was years ago, wasn't it? Anyway, where's the fun without a bit of risk? Hey, Ron, what if we find out how to get round Dumbledore? Fancy entering?"

"what d'you reckon?" Ron turned to Harry and Maggie, "Be cool to enter, wouldn't it? But I s'pose they might want someone older... dunno if we've learnt enough."

"You definitely haven't. Weren't you begging me to copy my transfiguration homework for, like, the whole of last year?" Maggie said smirking, "Plus, my faith in the twins abilities to do stupid things are high, but fooling Dumbledore? If they can trick him, Goddrick help us all."

Ron pulled a face at Maggie as George said, "You will eat your words, Marjorie." To which Maggie smiled and rolled her eyes.

"We'll see, won't we. Night, boys, Mione." She said as she headed right at a fork in the corridor as the rest of them went left, calling their goodbyes until they disappeared around the corner.

Once she'd finally reached her destination and the door had thrown a rather easy riddle at her, She walked through the practically empty common room and up to her door, The girl were all sat on their separate bed's, giggling about something when Maggie arrived.

Wendy hawk sat on the edge of her bed telling stories of her holiday and her experience at the world cup, all of the girl except Marietta, who was listening intently, had attended and shared their rush and panic when the death eaters had attacked.

"This is year should be interesting, though." Said Maggie trying to change the subject when the previous topic got particularly gloomy, "A tournament? With foreign schools?"

Their faces lit up, "Yes! God I hope they bring us some cute boys." Said Wendy, in a dreamy tone.

They girls continued to laugh and gossip until the clock hit one and they all agreed they couldn't function if they stayed up any later, "Please, Rowena Ravenclaw, bring me a cute boyfriend this year." Prayed Wendy out loud. The last sound Maggie heard was the girls laughter before she drifted of into a dreamless sleep.

----------------------------

1429 words