Chapter .3

As the last cobwebs of sleep withered and floated from my mind, the noise took on a more familiar form.

Sometimes the simplest of sounds can be the most unnerving, a cold wind whistling through a tree outside coming down through the furnace.

An unabodied footstep uncomfortably close. And last in this case, the simplest sound, of something rustling around in the darkness of night.

There it was, then there, then closer, and then even closer. Something rustled in the dark crawling onto the bottom bunk.

It then started moving around as if some disturbed sleeper was attempting to get all too comfortable in the bottom bunk.

I lay there in disbelief thinking that the noise was either my imagination, or an animal that had crawled in from the cold night.

It was then that I noticed my window, shut as it had been as I’d fallen asleep.

With fear rising in me I decided to turn to face the wall, closing my eyes in the vain.

Hoping that I could fall back to sleep. As I covered my ears, the rustling noise from underneath me ceased for a moment.

I thought that I must have disturbed it, whatever it was, but I quickly realized that the visitor in the bottom bunk was much less mundane than an animal trying to sleep, and had a much more sinister feeling.