Chapter .13

I quickly realized that it had not stirred when I moved, I began to have the strangest of thoughts.

Is it really asleep or was it waiting for the right moment to pounce?

It hadn't so much as breathed since it had stopped moving.

Perhaps it was resting, believing that it had finally gotten me.

That I was finally in its grasp.

Or perhaps it was toying with me like some weak prey.

After all, it had been doing just that for countless nights, and now with me under it.

Pinned against my mattress with no father to protect me, maybe it was holding off, savoring its victory until the last possible moment.

Like a wild animal savoring its prey.

I tried to breathe as shallowly as possible. mustering every ounce of courage I could.

I reached over slowly with my right hand and began to peel the blanket off of me.

What I found under those covers almost stopped my heart. I did not see it, but as my hand moved the blanket, it brushed against something.

Something warm and fuzzy. Something which felt unmistakably like fur.

It made a sound like growling as I held my breath in terror.

I was sure it must now have known that I was awake.

However it did nothing. It did not stir, it just stared at me with big round yellow eyes.

After a few moments, through my fear and anxiety I gently placed my hand on top of it's head.