Chapter .10

With time you can become desensitized to almost anything, no matter how horrific.

I had come to the realization that for whatever reason, this thing could not harm me when my father opened the door.

I am sure the same would have been said for my mother, but as loving as she was, waking her from her sleep would not have been a good idea for a multitude of reasons.

After a few months of this, I had grown accustomed to my nightly visitor.

Do not mistake this for some unearthly friendship, I detested the thing.

I feared it greatly as I could almost sense its desires and its personality, if you could call it that; one filled with a twisted hatred yet longing for me, of perhaps all things.

My greatest fears however were realized the next month which was the beginning of winter.

The days grew shorter, and the longer nights merely provided this wretch with more opportunities.

It was a difficult time for my family because my father had caught a virus.

As much as I loved my father to this day I feel guilty that my first thoughts were not of his health, but of what my nightly visitor may do should it become aware of my father’s absence.

His presence being the one thing which I was sure was protecting me from the full horror of this thing’s reach.

I rushed home from school the next day and immediately wrenched the bed sheets and mattress from the lower bunk.

Removing all of the slats and placing an old desk, a chest of drawers, and some chairs which we kept in a cupboard where the bottom bunk used to be.

I told my father I was ‘making an office’ which he found adorable, but I would be damned if I’d give that thing a place to sleep for one more night.