TWO

eri's seventeenth birthday. 

contains swearing

⊱ ────── {⋅. ✯ .⋅} ────── ⊰

A CHUCKLE echoed in the kitchen. a tall brunette was guiding eri into the living room with a grin on his face.

"your eyes are still closed right?" 

though he couldn't see it, eri rolled her eyes at his question. the black blindfold shielded her vision.

"of course not yeonjun," 

"okay~ i'm going to open them...now!" yeonjun untied the blindfold from her head, letting eri's eyes adjust to the setting. in the center of the table was a white cake with blue frosting piped around the edges of the cake. in the middle of the cake was a spread of red jam along with strawberries and exactly seventeen candles. her favorite foods were spread on the table. and she obviously couldn't ignore the presence of the other people in the room.

"soobin, beomgyu, taehyun, kai!" she beamed as the boys brought her into a group hug. 

"happy birthday kiddo," taehyun smiled, ruffling her hair.  

"you're finally my age!" hueningkai chirped, placing an arm over her shoulder.

"you know, im surprised that beomgyu was able to keep quiet for this long," soobin joked, making the said boy glare at him.

"i can't believe my dear sister is already seventeen," yeonjun cooed, moving hueningkai's arms off her shoulder and bringing her into a tight hug. eri smiled at the hug. she loved being in her brother's embrace. it was warm and it made her feel protected.

"thank you so much for everything," eri pulled herself away from the hug, looking at the others with a shy grin, "and thank you for you all as well for coming," 

"we'd do anything for you," hueningkai smiled back, the tips of his wings fluttered, a habit he did whenever he was genuinely happy. 

"we as in them. not me," beomgyu sassed, crossing his arms. eri rolled her eyes at his comment.

"i'm kidding. eri you're the only girl i can tolerate," beomgyu took back his words, patting her head. 

"you should blow the candles before they go out," exclaimed soobin, realizing how drastically short the candles became. eri immediately sat in the chair in front of the cake as her brother and his friends surrounded her. her eyelids closed and she placed her hands together.

'i wish for everyone to be happy and safe always. and to also have a good school life,'

her grey eyes opened and she blew out the candles, extinguishing the flames one by one as everyone cheered.

"i really wish mom was here," yuki sighed sadly. her eyes flickered to the photo frame displayed on yeonjun's wall. it was a photo of her, yeonjun, and their mother when they were younger. she vividly remembered when the photo was taken. it was right after when yeonjun discovered his special abilities when he turned twelve. her heart ached at the sight of their mother smiling. 

she missed her.

"and she is. she's still here, in our hearts," yeonjun gave a reassuring look to her, noticing her glossy eyes.

"i wish she was still here to see her new sons," chuckled eri, watching how the boys were debating on how to slice the cake.

"she would be ecstatic, i just know it," he pulled eri out of the chair, "now don't be all sad on your seventeenth birthday. it's time to celebrate!"

after eating her birthday meal and cutting the cake (they ended up cutting it into squares as taehyun won rock paper scissors), they indulged themselves in a game of twister. 

"soobin, left hand on green," taehyun read out his instruction, the spinner in his hand. 

"this game is clearly not suited for those who are taller than 180," soobin let out a groan as he outstretched his hand on one of the vacant green spots. 

"soobin try not to blame everything on his height challenge: failed,"

eri let out a snort at beomgyu's joke, "well this game is not suitable for those who can manipulate their size," she gave a dirty look to beomgyu who gave her an innocent look in response.

"oh god i really don't think i can bal-" soobin's words were cut off by him wobbling in his spot, crashing onto the ground along with eri. eri let out a yelp as her body suddenly became weightless. before she knew it, her head was touching yeonjun's dorm ceiling. her dark hair flying everywhere.

"oops..." soobin sheepishly rubbed the back of his nape. hueningkai let his dark brown wings spread, lifting him off the ground as he flew around the floating eri laughing. 

"this would be fun if i wasn't wearing a fucking skirt," cried eri, holding down her uniform skirt for dear life. hueningkai's eyes darted to her legs, eyes rounding. he floated in front eri, spreading his wings wider so that they were covering her.

yeonjun shot a scowl at a soobin, "soobin, put my sister down please," 

at his words, soobin snapped his finger and the girl fell onto the floor with a thud.

"you're an idiot sometimes soob," yeonjun immediately rushed to his sister, eyes gaping at the decently sized scratch on her elbow. eri's nose wrinkled at the drippings of red from her elbow. her eyes slowly started to lose focus as a loud pulsating noise echoed in her head. she felt her muscles tense up and the last thing she heard before she passed out was yeonjun calling for help. 

⊱ ────── {⋅. ✯ .⋅} ────── ⊰

eri rose up from her bed with a loud gasp that startled the figure across her sitting on a chair. she looked around the room, confused. her eyes flickered to the figure and her elbow.

"eri, you're awake!" yeonjun got up from the chair and sat on the bed with eyes filled with worry.

"what happened?" eri asked, still in a daze.

"after you fell, you passed out for a good few hours," yeonjun looked at his watch, "it's already six,"

eri furrowed her eyebrows, "am or pm?"

"am..." eri jumped out of yeonjun's bed and rushed to the living room in search of her backpack.

"hey! what are you doing?" yeonjun placed a hand on his hip as he watched eri slide her shoes on. 

eri turned to face her elder brother, "getting ready to go to school. obviously,"

"no you're not. you just fainted for a good few hours. how will i know that you're okay?" yeonjun leaned against the door, concern dawning on his face.

"jun, i'll be okay. trust me okay?" eri placed her hand on his shoulder, giving him a reassuring look.

yeonjun only let out a sigh, "if anything happens, text me okay?"

eri gave him a small smile before briefly hugging him and dashing out of the dorm.