EIGHT

an act of kindness.

contains swearing

⊱ ────── {⋅. ✯ .⋅} ────── ⊰

THE SOUNDS OF sneakers hitting against the gym court echoed in the gymnasium. eri was relieved that their sports class finally ended. knowing that it was going to be a struggle for her to control and hide her strength, it resulted with eri offering to become the referee for their volleyball practice.

eri's ponytail swung from side to side as she picked up the volleyballs from the ground, placing them into the basket in the corner of the gym. she then watched as the next class entered. the students from the special class. they walked in with cocky grins, with their heads held high as they noticed that all the other students in the gym were those from the ordinary course.

"hey, pick that ball up," the male with horns sneered at one of the students. afraid, he hesitantly listened to his words, picking up the balls and placing them in the middle of the court. the special class students crowded around the court, already separated into two teams. 

"you know what would be more fun?" the girl with hooves as legs spoke up, "we should play monkey in the middle," 

loud chatters of agreement instantly rose at her suggestion. the male with horns walked away briefly, returning with a person in hand. he pushed the girl into the center of the court. she recognized the girl as her classmate, hanni.

eri watched as they threw one of the volleyballs from across the court, hanni apprehensively chasing and jumping after the ball like a dog. at times, they would purposely hit her with the ball. eri grimaced at the way they were laughing and smiling and having fun. she hated the smug looks on their faces. 

hanni's eyes shut close, waiting for the impact of the volleyball to hit her face. however, it didn't come. she slowly opened her eyes, staring at the back of someone's head. 

"um, what are you doing?" one of them asked, placing a hand on her hip as she eyed eri up and down.

"what the hell are you doing?" loudly asked eri, her brows were furrowed and there was visible anger that clouded her features.

the boy with horns walked closer to eri, towering over her, "do you just want to join in the fun? the game would be much better with two monkeys, don't you think?" he turned around to his friends who agreed with him.

"having fun bullying a person says a lot about you," eri snapped, "is this what you do? make fun of people and bully them? does having a 'special' ability automatically make you a dickhead? because that's what i'm seeing," 

the gym went silent. 

"who do you think you are? some kind of fucking hero?" the boy with horns scrutinized at eri, walking menacingly closer to eri who kept her stance. the tension in the gymnasium grew. 

"i think i'm a better person than you are," retorted eri. she gritted her jaw. the ball she held in between her arm and the side of her chest burst, directing everyone's attention to it. 

"shit,"

before the boy with horns could continue speaking, a figure came between them.

"that's enough,"

"what's wrong sunghoon? you're the last person that would be standing up for a person like her," he spat, growling at eri. 

"mind your own damn business," was what sunghoon said before he grabbed the sleeves of eri's sports jersey, dragging her to follow after him to the storage room inside the gymnasium.

"fucking weirdo!" 

"what the hell do you think you're doing?" asked sunghoon, his brows drawing together.

eri looked away from him, her arms crossed.

"you shouldn't meddle with people like them," sunghoon ran his fingers through his hair, watching eri's face remain unchanged.

"people like them? you mean those jerks? who thinks they're better than everyone? those people who think they can act like dickheads just because they're in the special course?" rambled eri. it was very evident that she was pissed off.

"listen. you can act like a hero or whatever you want but you need to know when to mind your own business. messing with those guys will make your school life miserable," cautioned sunghoon.

"i'd rather that they make my life miserable than others," eri turned to face him, "why are you warning me about them to me like you even care anyways?"

sunghoon's lips turned into a thin line before a sigh escaped from his lips.

"i couldn't give two shits about you," 

"great. we're in the same boat then," 

eri turned away from him, walking away as he watched her figure grow distant. she didn't fail to prove to sunghoon that he could dislike her even more. 

⊱ ────── {⋅. ✯ .⋅} ────── ⊰

eri sat in her usual seat next to the window. at the corner of the table was a small note as well as a lollipop. curious, she picked up the note and read the contents.

"thank you for just now. for standing up for me.

~ hanni."

eri looked around the classroom, meeting eyes with the sender of the note. hanni's eyes went round, her cheeks turning scarlet, immediately looking away. a small smile graced on eri's face at her reaction.

"whose that from?" 

eri shoved the note into the pocket of her blazer, "someone,"

"a secret admirer?" sunoo raised his brows as he took the seat next to eri.

"maybe you should mind your business," eri stuck out her tongue.